[D1EA, Training Grounds, Open] Bōjutsu demonstration (Occasion)

Soshi Naoko

Re: [D1EA, Training Grounds, Open] Bōjutsu demonstration (Occasion)

Post by Soshi Naoko » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:17 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:28 am

The fury of the match resumed as the two monks brought their staffs together, each attempting to either push the other back, or through them off balance. It was an even match so far, but who could say what would happen?

"Ah, Kitsuki-sama is a travelling magistrate, Soshi-san. There's a lot of remote villages in need of protection, and a lot of stretches of wilderness where villains think they might hide themselves. Or sometimes it's the other way around, with those in the wilderness needing protection, and the villains hiding in a remote town. Either way, Kitsuki-sama is both energetic and zealous in the execution of her duties. I once saw her practically leap over a tall wall in pursuit of a criminal. Her record will likely earn her a spot behind a desk someday, but not for a long time." he explained.

He considered the squirrel story thoughtfully.

"Hmm, a shame for your good fortune to pass into the paws of another, Soshi-san." he offered. "Though at least a beast was nourished by it, rather than the nut simply being lost. I wonder how lucky the squirrels around the mountain tree shrine are, having raised generations upon the nourishment of the shrine."
With an amused smile she says, “actually, near the tree, their theft has made them fat and juicy and attracted quite a few hawks and foxes to feast on such fortunate squirrels. The tree’s bounty creates luck all through that part of the forest. Might look like a mixed blessing to the squirrels though.”
She pauses to respectfully listen to Hiro speaking of the spiritual benefits of spending time meditating on ones bruises, even beyond the lesson of pain that spurs improvement in technique. Silent a thoughtful moment longer, she continues their conversation with,“Ah well, luck isn’t forever, and the loss was a good reminder, neh? I’d guess you already know that, chasing bandits and such…luck’s nice, but I bet you get steadier use from training and planning, hmm?”
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:23 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:17 am

With an amused smile she says, “actually, near the tree, their theft has made them fat and juicy and attracted quite a few hawks and foxes to feast on such fortunate squirrels. The tree’s bounty creates luck all through that part of the forest. Might look like a mixed blessing to the squirrels though.”
She pauses to respectfully listen to Hiro speaking of the spiritual benefits of spending time meditating on ones bruises, even beyond the lesson of pain that spurs improvement in technique. Silent a thoughtful moment longer, she continues their conversation with,“Ah well, luck isn’t forever, and the loss was a good reminder, neh? I’d guess you already know that, chasing bandits and such…luck’s nice, but I bet you get steadier use from training and planning, hmm?”
Kindachi's attention was diverted as well as the monk spoke on the benefits of pain. It was both true, and also a good way to make sure the students didn't give up too early to consider devoting themselves to poetry instead.

the monk's resetting for another drill, his attention turned back to the interesting Soshi.

"Ah, an interesting point Soshi-san. Training and planning can certainly put one in a position to take advantage of good luck and stave off the worst effects of bad luck. Sometimes training and preparation can even look like luck to those not aware of it, say a chance meeting that is not actually a chance one. But sometimes luck simply cannot be overcome, for good or for ill." he mused.'

Luck certainly didn't seem to be playing much of a factor in the fight before them. The skill of the two students was quite remarkable. It probably would take some luck, good or ill to truly differentiate the two.

"It's bound to be an interesting journey for at least some of us, neh? From audience member to bojutsu teacher, should one truly excel at the training." he said, looking to move off too much pontificating on the fickle nature of luck.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki
Glory: Reputable || Honor: Ideal || Status: Average

Gear: Travelling Clothes, Wakizashi, Journal of Observations, Calligraphy Kit

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 pm

She nods, agreeing with the sentiment, or appearing to. “I’m not sure it’s a role I want, honestly. But I’m here to learn, so maybe I’ll be surprised…and…I suppose what I want isn’t supposed to matter overmuch.” Looking at the match flowing back and forth on the ice, her eyes follow Hiro more closely. “Do you think they chose to become the sensei’s students? Or were they sent…like many of us were?”
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:09 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:05 pm
She nods, agreeing with the sentiment, or appearing to. “I’m not sure it’s a role I want, honestly. But I’m here to learn, so maybe I’ll be surprised…and…I suppose what I want isn’t supposed to matter overmuch.” Looking at the match flowing back and forth on the ice, her eyes follow Hiro more closely. “Do you think they chose to become the sensei’s students? Or were they sent…like many of us were?”
The more the pair fought the more the ice became more treacherous as cracks and a little melt formed beneath them. Still, the pair seemed to be as sure-footed as mountain goats.

"Hmm, a difficult questions, Soshi-san. The Brotherhood has many different sects, and they all operate somewhat differently. There is a hierarchy, of course, but some sects would be more strict in their guidance of those below than others. Were they Togashi, the reasoning could have been anything from them meeting Wu on the road and deciding that following him was the way to enlightenment to being ordered to train under him for the salvation of the Empire by the Dragon Clan Champion. But they are not Togashi." he mused.

He looked over to her.

"What about the monks local to the area you serve, Soshi-san? Introspective seekers of enlightenment? Hardy warrior monks? Retired painters escaping the glamor of court to paint in peace?" he asked.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:10 am

Seppun Akimitsu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:02 am
Akimitsu looked away from the demonstration for a moment and saw the young woman watching and fidgeting with her own Bo.

He spoke in politely hushed tones "Have you studied the Bo long?" came the simple engagement dark eyes darting down to her features.
Riri heard the voice, her own eyes turning away from the monks for a moment as well. She greeted him with a smile, perhaps practiced, but her eyes were quickly back to the flurry of movement, which she was clearly interested in.

"Not long enough!", she answered, her voice a mix of excitement and some frustration. "I've received some proper lessons from monks at the temples back home now and then, but there's clearly so much to learn, ne?", she said in a polite, somewhat friendly tone. It took a moment more, then she properly bowed to him - a slight crease on her brows suggesting she only now properly noticed the mon.

"Pleased to meet you, Seppun-sama!", she said, quite formally now. "This one is Doji Riri." Then tilting her head slightly, delicately - or perhaps only so she could keep seeing the demonstration behind him?...

"Does Seppun-sama's interest in the art of the staff go a long way?"

----
OOC:
(Sorry for the delay, slept through most of yesterday and the day before, as I said! Trying to come back to things now :D )
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:09 am
The more the pair fought the more the ice became more treacherous as cracks and a little melt formed beneath them. Still, the pair seemed to be as sure-footed as mountain goats.

"Hmm, a difficult questions, Soshi-san. The Brotherhood has many different sects, and they all operate somewhat differently. There is a hierarchy, of course, but some sects would be more strict in their guidance of those below than others. Were they Togashi, the reasoning could have been anything from them meeting Wu on the road and deciding that following him was the way to enlightenment to being ordered to train under him for the salvation of the Empire by the Dragon Clan Champion. But they are not Togashi." he mused.

He looked over to her.

"What about the monks local to the area you serve, Soshi-san? Introspective seekers of enlightenment? Hardy warrior monks? Retired painters escaping the glamor of court to paint in peace?" he asked.
"A little bit of everything scattered about," she says, eyes going a bit distant with recall. Being in Scorpion lands, some of them weren't precisely retired, either, but she wasn't going to mention that. "Well, I don't actually know any painters, at least ones that let on that they were. Several poets though. Plenty that talk about courts, and more prestigious shrines...some with longing and others obviously glad to be someplace quieter."

"Why?" she asks with a grin, "thinking of retiring to Scorpion lands someday? If you do, the temple to Jurojin just before the blindcarved pass has a really nice onsen."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:40 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 am

"A little bit of everything scattered about," she says, eyes going a bit distant with recall. Being in Scorpion lands, some of them weren't precisely retired, either, but she wasn't going to mention that. "Well, I don't actually know any painters, at least ones that let on that they were. Several poets though. Plenty that talk about courts, and more prestigious shrines...some with longing and others obviously glad to be someplace quieter."

"Why?" she asks with a grin, "thinking of retiring to Scorpion lands someday? If you do, the temple to Jurojin just before the blindcarved pass has a really nice onsen."
That nearly got a laugh out of the Kitsuki. However, laughing during the Bojutsu demonstration was probably not going to earn him the respect of the sensei. Still, it did bring a smile at least.

"Ah no, I've a long time to go before I consider retiring. Mostly I just like learning more about the Empire through first-hand accounts, rather than reading about it. Don't get me wrong, reading is wonderful, but there is something to be said for not giving people the luxury of editing their thoughts repeatedly before sharing them. And we were on the topic of monks for obvious reasons, so it seemed like a natural question." he said.

It was important to engage in natural conversation, rather than interrogating people straight away he had been told.

"But there is plenty of other sources of inspiration to draw from for converation....." he said, looking about briefly. ".....such is how have the winters been in your lands?"
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:08 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:40 am

That nearly got a laugh out of the Kitsuki. However, laughing during the Bojutsu demonstration was probably not going to earn him the respect of the sensei. Still, it did bring a smile at least.

"Ah no, I've a long time to go before I consider retiring. Mostly I just like learning more about the Empire through first-hand accounts, rather than reading about it. Don't get me wrong, reading is wonderful, but there is something to be said for not giving people the luxury of editing their thoughts repeatedly before sharing them. And we were on the topic of monks for obvious reasons, so it seemed like a natural question." he said.

It was important to engage in natural conversation, rather than interrogating people straight away he had been told.

"But there is plenty of other sources of inspiration to draw from for converation....." he said, looking about briefly. ".....such is how have the winters been in your lands?"
She's quite fully not paying attention to the demonstration now, apparently unworried about the sensei's thoughts on the matter. "Yes, there's really nothing like pulling stories out of people to learn about other places, is there? We don't get many travelers though, so the monks, and the stories they're willing to share of their former lives is what I get. I guess books might have something to them, but they're so slow."

Her enthusiasm for the topic pauses with a head-tilt and one narrowed eye that speaks to a possible raised eyebrow on the other side, all hidden beneath her mask. "Tch, and then it's just weather you want to talk about? Can do that without leaving home." She waves a hand dismissively. "It snows in the mountains...and water is wet-until it freezes at least. The passes always close. Idiots think they can squeak past the noose of the season and die there, frozen in their scraps of shelter, leaving a feast for spring scavengers in the thaw." Her smile is a bit wide. "Though with all the kits and chicks of spring, the bounty is no doubt welcome."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:08 am

She's quite fully not paying attention to the demonstration now, apparently unworried about the sensei's thoughts on the matter. "Yes, there's really nothing like pulling stories out of people to learn about other places, is there? We don't get many travelers though, so the monks, and the stories they're willing to share of their former lives is what I get. I guess books might have something to them, but they're so slow."

Her enthusiasm for the topic pauses with a head-tilt and one narrowed eye that speaks to a possible raised eyebrow on the other side, all hidden beneath her mask. "Tch, and then it's just weather you want to talk about? Can do that without leaving home." She waves a hand dismissively. "It snows in the mountains...and water is wet-until it freezes at least. The passes always close. Idiots think they can squeak past the noose of the season and die there, frozen in their scraps of shelter, leaving a feast for spring scavengers in the thaw." Her smile is a bit wide. "Though with all the kits and chicks of spring, the bounty is no doubt welcome."
Well she certainly had the Dragon's attention. There seemed to be two theme running through her conversation: crime and animals. There didn't seem to be much motive behind the words, beyond amusing the Scorpion. At least not so far.

"Hmm, also the source of no few stories of the supernatural." he adds. "I could think of seven off the top of my head. Of course, most of those are just the words of bored peasants, amusing themselves in the relative idleness of Winter and coming up with more fanciful stories to explain disappearances beyond, 'They misjudged the weather and the crows found them in spring."
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:35 am
Well she certainly had the Dragon's attention. There seemed to be two theme running through her conversation: crime and animals. There didn't seem to be much motive behind the words, beyond amusing the Scorpion. At least not so far.

"Hmm, also the source of no few stories of the supernatural." he adds. "I could think of seven off the top of my head. Of course, most of those are just the words of bored peasants, amusing themselves in the relative idleness of Winter and coming up with more fanciful stories to explain disappearances beyond, 'They misjudged the weather and the crows found them in spring."
There's a slow nod. "Plenty of the supernatural tales are true, but those dangers aren't really much worse with winter, except the snow maidens, and they don't leave bodies lying around." She seems reasonably sure of that. "Hmmm, come to think of it, a lot of the supernatural things that kill people tend to eat them or spirit them away, other than the ones that just manage to cause folks to die of fright." She speaks of death and supernatural murder with the ease of those storytelling peasants, and certainly none of the hesitancy of someone used to civilized courts.

She shrugs. "Anyway, happens enough that I guess it'd be hard to tell which stories are true and which are someone's family preferring that people think they ran into a hungry ghost instead of their own foolishness. I guess figuring that kind of thing out is your job, often enough?"

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:48 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 am

There's a slow nod. "Plenty of the supernatural tales are true, but those dangers aren't really much worse with winter, except the snow maidens, and they don't leave bodies lying around." She seems reasonably sure of that. "Hmmm, come to think of it, a lot of the supernatural things that kill people tend to eat them or spirit them away, other than the ones that just manage to cause folks to die of fright." She speaks of death and supernatural murder with the ease of those storytelling peasants, and certainly none of the hesitancy of someone used to civilized courts.

She shrugs. "Anyway, happens enough that I guess it'd be hard to tell which stories are true and which are someone's family preferring that people think they ran into a hungry ghost instead of their own foolishness. I guess figuring that kind of thing out is your job, often enough?"
Kindachi favors her with a nod. He did note her demeanor, but he wasn't very easily put off by such talk.

"Hm, true enough Soshi-san. Though we do tend to approach from the point of view that the source in mundane in origin first. It's more often the not the case, and the solution for the mundane is much simpler than the supernatural. We might have to spend some time during our stay swapping tales of the supernatural with some of the other candidates. Could be an interesting night." he suggested.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:33 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:48 am
Kindachi favors her with a nod. He did note her demeanor, but he wasn't very easily put off by such talk.

"Hm, true enough Soshi-san. Though we do tend to approach from the point of view that the source in mundane in origin first. It's more often the not the case, and the solution for the mundane is much simpler than the supernatural. We might have to spend some time during our stay swapping tales of the supernatural with some of the other candidates. Could be an interesting night." he suggested.
The mask's ears are rather perpetually perked up, but there's a sense of metaphorical ones shifting as well, as Naoko sits a bit straighter. "That would be all kinds of fun, yes! Outside or in the dark corners of the monastery? I wonder if we could get any of the monks to join in? They get up so early, they might not do frivolous things like ghost stories."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:44 am

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:33 am

The mask's ears are rather perpetually perked up, but there's a sense of metaphorical ones shifting as well, as Naoko sits a bit straighter. "That would be all kinds of fun, yes! Outside or in the dark corners of the monastery? I wonder if we could get any of the monks to join in? They get up so early, they might not do frivolous things like ghost stories."
Kindachi nods in agreement.

"I agree, it is important to set the right tone with the appropriately dimly lit area. While the monks do get up early, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two might be willing to sacrifice sleep to share what they know. After all, there's quite a few stories of the supernatural involving monks. And at worst, they'll simply politely decline the request." he assesses.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:24 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:44 am
r
Kindachi nods in agreement.

"I agree, it is important to set the right tone with the appropriately dimly lit area. While the monks do get up early, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two might be willing to sacrifice sleep to share what they know. After all, there's quite a few stories of the supernatural involving monks. And at worst, they'll simply politely decline the request." he assesses.
There's a sincere smile beneath the mask. "I suppose going without sleep's another kind of harshness to test themselves with." Like...fighting barefoot on ice, without the possible frostbite. "In a few nights? Give everyone some time to settle in?"

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:24 am

There's a sincere smile beneath the mask. "I suppose going without sleep's another kind of harshness to test themselves with." Like...fighting barefoot on ice, without the possible frostbite. "In a few nights? Give everyone some time to settle in?"
Kindachi nods.

"And give us time to spread the word as well, with it being an unofficial gathering." he agreed.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:17 pm

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:13 pm

Kindachi nods.

"And give us time to spread the word as well, with it being an unofficial gathering." he agreed.
"Definitely. Sounds like a plan." Grinning, the fox mask nods once, and then again. "Spread the word!" And she leans to the side to interrupt whoever's sitting nearest to interrupt their appreciation of the bout with plans for spooky tales in dark caverns.