[D1EE, Main Hall, Open] The first supper (Occasion)

Moto Taka

Re: [D1EE, Main Hall, Open] The first supper (Occasion)

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 am

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 pm
Moto Taka wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:46 pm
"I did need to ride quite a distance to get here you know." Taka remarks wryly, as if this explains everything. "And I meant "tested against wind, rain and snow", but it's survived horses well enough from time to time"
"Even less excuse, a horse can carry many bottles. If you ask them nicely they might even carry one in their mouth."

Sumire nodded, appearing to be serious.

"So not bear tested. Hmm, this shouldn't be bear season but you never know. Horses are close but hooves and claws do different styles of damage" another nod "I know that well. Oh well, it'll have to do!"
"Carrying sake in one's mouth is all to easy...and how I lost my supply to begin with. It was a very long trip." Taka replies with a wry smile. "And Koku can drink his fill too. I will see what I can do about acquiring a bit, but I am looking forward to our trip."
Known Winner | Curious | Flirtacious | Painfully Honest
Honor Is the Ideal | Ordinary Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 am
"Carrying sake in one's mouth is all to easy...and how I lost my supply to begin with. It was a very long trip." Taka replies with a wry smile. "And Koku can drink his fill too. I will see what I can do about acquiring a bit, but I am looking forward to our trip."
"You could just carry it in a sealed bottle" Sumire said with a small laugh "but hai, perhaps the temptation is too strong."

Sumire went back to her food, eating a little before speaking again.

"Why did you name your horse koku?"
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Glory: Reputable |Honour: Appearances| Status: Average Great clan samurai
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books
Sometimes accompanied by an attendant called Miki

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 am

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 am

"You could just carry it in a sealed bottle" Sumire said with a small laugh "but hai, perhaps the temptation is too strong."

Sumire went back to her food, eating a little before speaking again.

"Why did you name your horse koku?"
Taka pauses for a moment, trying to keep his face calm. Gradually, the corners of his mouth twitch and his belly shakes at barely contained mirth.

"It's kind of a funny story. Now, when the Ide were horse trading to fill our ranks and would barter for whatever the Shinjo wished. The traders claimed that his name was Koku, and that his name was worthy of such a beast. Well, it was assumed that it meant that the horse was a golden steed, a pinnacle of breeding that they were obtaining at a bargain rate."

Taka pauses, taking a few bites of food to let the story continue for dramatic effect.

"Now, these traders knew our language. And they also knew about some of the creatures in the land beyond. Among them, the Unicorn explorers happened upon an insect. These things thrive in filth and harsh conditions, are considered incredibly hard to kill and a pest. It doesn't translate well, but their name in the Rokugani tongue is..." Taka pauses. "Kokkurōchi. And so, they acquired a mutt of a creature whose greatest asset is how hardy his is." Taka's face splits into a grin. "So he's perfect for someone like me."
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 am
Taka pauses for a moment, trying to keep his face calm. Gradually, the corners of his mouth twitch and his belly shakes at barely contained mirth.

"It's kind of a funny story. Now, when the Ide were horse trading to fill our ranks and would barter for whatever the Shinjo wished. The traders claimed that his name was Koku, and that his name was worthy of such a beast. Well, it was assumed that it meant that the horse was a golden steed, a pinnacle of breeding that they were obtaining at a bargain rate."

Taka pauses, taking a few bites of food to let the story continue for dramatic effect.

"Now, these traders knew our language. And they also knew about some of the creatures in the land beyond. Among them, the Unicorn explorers happened upon an insect. These things thrive in filth and harsh conditions, are considered incredibly hard to kill and a pest. It doesn't translate well, but their name in the Rokugani tongue is..." Taka pauses. "Kokkurōchi. And so, they acquired a mutt of a creature whose greatest asset is how hardy his is." Taka's face splits into a grin. "So he's perfect for someone like me."
Sumire brought up a hand to cover a laugh at the story.

"What an amusing twist on the story. So he was named after a very tough creature. That would make sense, he seems like the kind that would happily keep galloping for miles and not stop on the whims of the rider. Assuming there is enough food for him. Although that does seem very distinctly human, stopping and seeing the sights instead of going the full journey, ne?"
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:38 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:31 am

Sumire brought up a hand to cover a laugh at the story.

"What an amusing twist on the story. So he was named after a very tough creature. That would make sense, he seems like the kind that would happily keep galloping for miles and not stop on the whims of the rider. Assuming there is enough food for him. Although that does seem very distinctly human, stopping and seeing the sights instead of going the full journey, ne?"
"That's my own fault." Taka readily admits. "It's good practice to rest a mount, but if there's something interesting happening, I want to know about it. If it strikes two birds with one shaft, all the better. And besides" Taka gestures at Sumire. "That meant stopping to meet you."

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:38 pm
"That's my own fault." Taka readily admits. "It's good practice to rest a mount, but if there's something interesting happening, I want to know about it. If it strikes two birds with one shaft, all the better. And besides" Taka gestures at Sumire. "That meant stopping to meet you."
"But you would have met me anyway, right here and now" Sumire challenged with smirk "but hey I met your horse so that was worth it. One day he'll walk off though while you're exploring the flowers and you'll spend the night trying to find him and convince him you're not more interested in other things."

She pretended to bop him with her chopsticks.

"Animal lives matter. They're often far more interesting than humans. Don't forget it."

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:04 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 pm

"But you would have met me anyway, right here and now" Sumire challenged with smirk "but hey I met your horse so that was worth it. One day he'll walk off though while you're exploring the flowers and you'll spend the night trying to find him and convince him you're not more interested in other things."

She pretended to bop him with her chopsticks.

"Animal lives matter. They're often far more interesting than humans. Don't forget it."
"Well that would mean being denied more time with you, as I have enjoyed every moment so far." Taka feigns a wince from the bop with the chopsticks. "But I'll keep that in mind. He does like you though."

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 pm

Hibiki ate slowly, savoring each bite. It was unseasoned, but that meant there was nothing to obscure the natural taste of the ingredients. This was how she preferred her tea, simple. The intricate blends cultivated throughout the Empire were interesting to sample, but many were too complex, masking the flavor rather than adding to it.

The meal was fine. Tea was better, but that was true of most food. She'd live on tea if she could.
Imperial Shugenja Artisan Astrologer Healer Frail Tea Lover Too Honest
Glory: Reputable | Honor: Ideal | Status: Imperial

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 pm
Hibiki ate slowly, savoring each bite. It was unseasoned, but that meant there was nothing to obscure the natural taste of the ingredients. This was how she preferred her tea, simple. The intricate blends cultivated throughout the Empire were interesting to sample, but many were too complex, masking the flavor rather than adding to it.

The meal was fine. Tea was better, but that was true of most food. She'd live on tea if she could.
As fortune wills it, seated near to Hibiki is Ketsudan, who offers a seated bow to the Seppun.

"Kitsuki Ketsudan, Niten-ryu," he says by way of introduction. "A promising day so far for Seppun-sama?"
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:20 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:04 pm
"Well that would mean being denied more time with you, as I have enjoyed every moment so far." Taka feigns a wince from the bop with the chopsticks. "But I'll keep that in mind. He does like you though."
"Of course he likes me, I use his actual name and give him better treats" Sumire replied with a chuckle "you should listen to him more. He's quite intelligent. Although I suppose not everyone has the innate ability to understand the animal world..."

There was a shrug.

"Although he doesn't understand why you're here, so I guess I should ask you. What brings you so far from home? Couldn't resist the appeal of a monastery and there wasn't one closer, or are you looking for something more?"

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:00 pm
As fortune wills it, seated near to Hibiki is Ketsudan, who offers a seated bow to the Seppun.

"Kitsuki Ketsudan, Niten-ryu," he says by way of introduction. "A promising day so far for Seppun-sama?"
"It has been an interesting day, Kitsuki-san. Which makes it better than many." she nodded. "This one is Seppun Hibiki, astrologer. What did you think of today?"

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 am
"It has been an interesting day, Kitsuki-san. Which makes it better than many." she nodded. "This one is Seppun Hibiki, astrologer. What did you think of today?"
"That there is much to learn," comes the reply. "And that there are many who seek knowledge, even if they do not know what knowledge they seek."

Ketsudan takes a sip at his own tea. "But there is comfort to be found even in places such as this," he adds. "And even if this mountain is kindlier than those of home, it is beautiful."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 am
"That there is much to learn," comes the reply. "And that there are many who seek knowledge, even if they do not know what knowledge they seek."

Ketsudan takes a sip at his own tea. "But there is comfort to be found even in places such as this," he adds. "And even if this mountain is kindlier than those of home, it is beautiful."
"It is." she agreed. "But, there are few places as impressive as the Dragon Mountains. Have you discovered what you are here to learn?"

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:26 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 am
"It is." she agreed. "But, there are few places as impressive as the Dragon Mountains. Have you discovered what you are here to learn?"
"Seppun-sama has been to the Great Wall of the North? Her esteemed cousin had not when he was encountered this morning," Ketsudan replies. "But as to her question: not likely. Although Mirumoto-sensei suggests that what is supposed to be learned will be revealed once it is learned, so patience is becoming."

He takes a bit of rice, chews thoughtfully.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:26 am
"Seppun-sama has been to the Great Wall of the North? Her esteemed cousin had not when he was encountered this morning," Ketsudan replies. "But as to her question: not likely. Although Mirumoto-sensei suggests that what is supposed to be learned will be revealed once it is learned, so patience is becoming."

He takes a bit of rice, chews thoughtfully.
"I did not find what I had hoped for with the Agasha, but I enjoyed my time in the mountains. Hopefully, my time here will be as satisfying. But, only time will tell."

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 am

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:20 pm

"Of course he likes me, I use his actual name and give him better treats" Sumire replied with a chuckle "you should listen to him more. He's quite intelligent. Although I suppose not everyone has the innate ability to understand the animal world..."

There was a shrug.

"Although he doesn't understand why you're here, so I guess I should ask you. What brings you so far from home? Couldn't resist the appeal of a monastery and there wasn't one closer, or are you looking for something more?"
"It's the sensei, more than the monastery." Taka continues to eat. "Wu-sensei used to be a bushi before he became a monk. My lord had met him once, years ago. Wu-sensei is apparently brilliant, and his thinking helped my master with his own tactics. I had the chance to train with the man, so I couldn't pass up the chance."

"Actual name?" There is a look of honest confusion on Taka's face at the comment. "I don't know it..." it takes a moment to parse. "Wait, animal world? Can you...talk to my horse?"

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:53 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:01 am
"I did not find what I had hoped for with the Agasha, but I enjoyed my time in the mountains. Hopefully, my time here will be as satisfying. But, only time will tell."
"If it's not impertinent," Ketsudan asks, "what took Seppun-sama to the Agasha lands?"
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:31 am
"It's the sensei, more than the monastery." Taka continues to eat. "Wu-sensei used to be a bushi before he became a monk. My lord had met him once, years ago. Wu-sensei is apparently brilliant, and his thinking helped my master with his own tactics. I had the chance to train with the man, so I couldn't pass up the chance."

"Actual name?" There is a look of honest confusion on Taka's face at the comment. "I don't know it..." it takes a moment to parse. "Wait, animal world? Can you...talk to my horse?"
"He certainly is an interesting man huh? I've never met him before or heard of this place but it got suggested to me that I'd be well suited, so I did what I was told. Going by what I've seen so far? Well, far be it for me to question the wisdom of my superiors but..."

She shrugged.

"Think I'd do better out in the wilds. As for Hard Rider? If you people tried harder you'd be able to talk to animals too" Sumire picked up some more rice "I understand animals, they understand me. They see a kindred spirit in me I guess?" She laughed.

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:55 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm

"He certainly is an interesting man huh? I've never met him before or heard of this place but it got suggested to me that I'd be well suited, so I did what I was told. Going by what I've seen so far? Well, far be it for me to question the wisdom of my superiors but..."

She shrugged.

"Think I'd do better out in the wilds. As for Hard Rider? If you people tried harder you'd be able to talk to animals too" Sumire picked up some more rice "I understand animals, they understand me. They see a kindred spirit in me I guess?" She laughed.
"I..." Taka pauses. "Really don't have an answer for any of that. Huh." Internal gears seem to be turning.

"Hard Rider? I mean, it fits, I just..." The man looks at Sumire, at a loss for words.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:55 pm
"I..." Taka pauses. "Really don't have an answer for any of that. Huh." Internal gears seem to be turning.

"Hard Rider? I mean, it fits, I just..." The man looks at Sumire, at a loss for words.
"It's quite common don't worry. When faced with a concept so alien that it doesn't make sense, such as the notion of anything except humans having feelings and the ability to communicate, people tend to shut down."

Sumire had another mouthful of rice.

"It's just how people who aren't attuned to the world are."