D1 LA Sniffing the Wind-side of the mountain

Soshi Naoko

D1 LA Sniffing the Wind-side of the mountain

Post by Soshi Naoko » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:31 am

Naoko stands on a sturdy branch twice as high as she is tall, bouncing lightly to shake snow loose from the branches in a sparkling cascade to delight the air kami she'd come out to speak with. It was always good to see if they had any interesting news when you traveled into a new area, and with so many travelers, they were sure to have seen a great deal.

She stops to bow toward the end of the branch, honoring the spirits who'd come to her call, bouncing slightly again before running a few steps down the branch for momentum to spring off and roll through a somewhat flashy, and rather snowy landing. At least her travel clothes can't really look much worse for wear at this point. A disapproving 'mrrrt!' tells her she sprayed snow a bit too wildly for Hanakuso's taste as the large cat bounces back behind the stone he'd found a bit of sunbeam on.

"Tch, like you aren't already as damp as you can be out here...and warmer'n me with that coat on." She scoops up a crooked, but sturdy, stick from the ground. "But tell me if you spot anything with a brain bigger'n a sparrow. Worth chatting them up too with so much travel here, neh?" She swings the lopsided branch a bit, trying to spin it as Hiro had in the demonstration earlier...or had it been Haruhi. It was ridiculous how hard it became to tell people apart once they took off their hair.

Clumsy stick-swinging would keep her warm out here, at least, and she wouldn't embarrass herself entirely where nobody was watching.

Or so she thought. Smacking the next tree over dropped a heavy, wet snow right down the back of her collar, eliciting a surprised help and some frantic attempts to fish it out. "You'll regret that! I'm giving all your cones to the lake on the next peak next year. They'll waterlog and sink, every one. No wee pine babies for you until you apologize!"
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Kakita Sumire

Re: D1 LA Sniffing the Wind-side of the mountain

Post by Kakita Sumire » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 am

After making some preparations as well as putting on her brown unremarkable travelling robes Sumire had made her way into the woods, excited to see something that wasn't human-made. Nature is beautiful, and she loved to hear the sounds, see the sights...

and spot someone attacking trees! Sumire was angry, but held her tongue. Her footsteps even through the snow were so soft it would be hard.

She peeked round a nearby tree, then hid again. Waiting for the right moment to move to the next tree. And the next. Getting closer and closer until she was only one tree behind the woman. At which point she would speak up in a deep voice.

"Thou dare attacketh my brethren? Apologise to mine sister immediately!"

(ooc: Skullduggery to sneak in
D1 LA skullduggery to sneak in with air ring | TN: ? | Success: 4 / Opportunity: 0 / Strife: 2
Image Image Image Image

D1 LA performance/air to throw voice and make it sound like the trees are angry | TN: ? | Success: 3 / Opportunity: 1 / Strife: 1
Image Image Image Image (using opportunity to be more stealthy)

Nature's touch active for the scene)
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Glory: Reputable |Honour: Appearances| Status: Average Great clan samurai
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books
Sometimes accompanied by an attendant called Miki

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:43 am

The peaceful sounds of the mountain...was dreadfully boring in Taka's personal opinion.

No wonder we chose to travel the plains. I wouldn't make the trip without Koku. Sorry Koku. Taka pats the mane of his horse. The creature flicks his ears in response and snorts, drawing a chuckle.

Taka is soon made aware of one benefit of the mountains: that sounds echo. A lot. Especially when people start screaming.

Taka thinks for a moment. "Well, I've gone out of my way for less"

It doesn't take long before he finds something. A masked lady who clearly seemed upset about something. The mask was too ornate to be a cheap bandit knockoff, which meant one likely source.

"I heard that the Scorpion were supposed to be stealthy. Not that I'm upset at having found you..."
Kakita Sumire wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 am

She peeked round a nearby tree, then hid again. Waiting for the right moment to move to the next tree. And the next. Getting closer and closer until she was only one tree behind the woman. At which point she would speak up in a deep voice.

"Thou dare attacketh my brethren? Apologise to mine sister immediately!"

Taka jerks in the saddle. "Diiiiid you just awaken a nature spirt?"
Known Winner | Curious | Flirtacious | Painfully Honest
Honor Is the Ideal | Ordinary Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Naoko spins toward one voice, and then another, continuing the movement to spin behind her erstwhile foe, placing it between herself and the visible fellow on horseback. Even venerable, awakened trees seldom spoke aloud, but there were tons of other spirits who'd happily do so.

"I'm not aiming to sneak," she looks round the tree and at the Moto, "um...Unicorn-saanmma.." there's a bit of question to the honorific slipping between casual and the carefully extra polite that was probably wise among strangers. "Woke up some winds already, but not trees. They're all still yawning out of winter."

She raises her voice, eyes visibly moving about through the mask's eyeholes "but there's always maybe some mujina as snuck out into the world, or tanuki looking for drinks, neh?" The stick is held in both hands and shaken in a manner that might have been menacing when not from behind a tree. "Anyway, just a stick, no axe..no axe cracks to embarrass a modest tree."

Meanwhile, a different pair of bright green eyes, attached to far better than human ears, watches the scene from his reclaimed seat on the snow-cleared stone. The large, fluffy calico could be a spirit from some tale as he lifts his nose, sampling the wind for a hint of dried fish on on any of the participants in this tableau.
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:58 pm

Sumire frowned in her hiding spot. Taking a moment to think before speaking again. Continuing to use the deeper voice, and mentally wishing she could play with things more.

"Thou striketh at mine sister with a broken piece of thyself and refer to it as just a stick? It is not the strength of the strike child, it is the lack of decorum in the action!"
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 pm

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:34 pm
snip
Kakita Sumire wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:58 pm
-snip-
"I'm Taka. And you are?" The Unicorn seems to brush formalities, his interest back at the scene unfolding in front of him.

"Huh. Our shugenja handle spirits...different. Please go on, don't let me disturb you."
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:04 am

Naoko continues to look around, with a pause to offer an awkward bow around the side of the tree farthest from where the voice seemed to be. “Soshi Naoko, usually tending things oh…a half dozen peaks thataway,” she waves off into the mountains. “good to meet you, Taka-san.”

She glances up to see if there’s any decent branches to climb to on this tree. Not without some claws, there’s not. Which reminds her of her partner/pet, the unimpressed Hanakuso. Her green eyes meet his, and she points at the cat before gesturing out to the nearby trees. If they were humans trekking the forest, it might be a ‘you..go scout around’ sort of signal before she lifts her voice again to the forest.

“Decorum? Every wolf, fox, and tanuki this side of the hill’s pissed on your sister here by now,” she says with some amusement. “At least I’m…” she pauses as the cat settles to the rock, feet tucked under for warmth. “um…” The cat’s stare is unwavering.
Naoko’s eyes roll before returning to scanning the nearby trees “I’m acknowledging her strength as a warrior! Aaaand.. measuring my strength against hers. Honoring the steadfastness of trees.” She settles back into a more relaxed stance, patting the rough bark. “Seems she’s doing fine. Better’n me honestly. This thing’s pretty rough on the hands.”

She looks to the Moto, “Tree looks ok to you, doesn’t it? Taka-san?” She hefts the stick a bit and shrugs, “ but if someone’s set on playing champion, we can set some terms, I’m sure.”

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:19 am

Taka squints and studies the tree in question. "I don't see anything that would be permanent damage. But would an offering of water please you, oh tree spirit?" He looks in in rapt attention at what is going to happen, dismounting and leading Koku by his reigns as he heads over to the tree.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 am

Sumire smiled to herself. Whoever you are, thank you for the easy escape! This was starting to hurt my throat.

She threw her voice once more, looking up at the tree she was leaning on. Picking up something of decent size at her feet - ironically a branch.

"Thy fathers, and thy fathers fathers cared for the woods, and would show decorum beyond mere animals who know no better. It seems the children do not. The woods may slumber, but it remembers."

She threw the branch up to her side, hitting a few branches above her to make snow fall as a reaction to the trees words. With the wind blowing through as well it would hopefully add to the effect. Taking the chance to carefully slip away as well, intending to hopefully circle round.

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 am

Before Naoko can react, the cat's much faster reflexes send him across the snow in a few long bounds to leap at the falling snow and tumbling stick, twisting in the air to swat and snap at the clumps and flurries. He lands....flumph! Up to the shoulders in snow, plumed tail held high, eyes wide and enormous, he looks quickly around and launches up and sideways to cling to the nearest tree a few feet up. With a scramble and blur, he settles on the first proper branch he comes to.

Naoko frowns at the commotion but sees Hankuso safe up high and shakes her head. "Ehh, the water'll not hurt any, though they've plenty as the snow melts. If I really ask one what'll make it happy, I usually hear complaints about the shade from neighbor trees." She frowns again toward the fading flurry of snow, eyes narrow through the mask and lips twisted. "But really, pay tricksters no mind. The breezes are more cautious around old, awakened trees and I was just talking to them."

"You here for the.." she paused a moment, not quite sure what to call it. Not a tournament, really, but more than a performance. "Well, the broom-monk's invite?"

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:10 am

"Something like that." Taka looks around the surroundings. Whatever it was that had spoken before is gone, seemingly satisfied. Which meant that he could focus on his new aquanintance. Even hiding behind a mask, the bottom half helped with the voice to convince him that this was a woman, and a fairly attractive one at that. "My master spoke of Sensei Wu, and that the man's methods helped hone his own. I hope to spend the winter learning from the man. But what brings a lovely shugenja to learn staff fighting? I would have thought you would rely on the kami."

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:25 pm

Damn cat. Pests in all realms!

Sumire had managed to do some of her loop, already distracted by the depth of the forest. Rather than creeping carefully through the snow now she stretched her legs and walked normally. Listening to the birds and resisting a laugh before she whistled back to them.

"Bit late for you isn't it Sparrow-chan?" She asked one in a tree as she passed by, back in her normal lighter voice. Getting an answer in the form of a squawk of agreement and then the flutter of tiny wings as it flew off.

"Maybe I'll do that later too..." she added quietly with a sigh

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:10 am
"Something like that." Taka looks around the surroundings. Whatever it was that had spoken before is gone, seemingly satisfied. Which meant that he could focus on his new aquanintance. Even hiding behind a mask, the bottom half helped with the voice to convince him that this was a woman, and a fairly attractive one at that. "My master spoke of Sensei Wu, and that the man's methods helped hone his own. I hope to spend the winter learning from the man. But what brings a lovely shugenja to learn staff fighting? I would have thought you would rely on the kami."
"I was told to come. It's a new thing happening here, I suppose, and I wasn't far off." She lets one end of the stick drop to the ground, punching through the snow before she leans on it, bending it alarmingly al the crooked part. "I'm sure I'll learn something, but I think It's more about watching when this is all happening so close to our lands."

"The kami don't fight for me though. I don't think shugenja are supposed to get into fights." There's a shift in attention at the whistling. The mask's ears were permanently pricked forward, but the slight tilt of her head indicated the woman's ears underneath were straining to hear more as well, picking out what information she could at a ditance.

"I was a little surprised that a ronin had an invitation, but I guess monks aren't as hung up on all those status and station things, huh?" At least, she thought the only samurai with only one name were ronin. The mountains weren't a great place to learn heraldry.

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:20 pm

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:58 pm
"I was told to come. It's a new thing happening here, I suppose, and I wasn't far off." She lets one end of the stick drop to the ground, punching through the snow before she leans on it, bending it alarmingly al the crooked part. "I'm sure I'll learn something, but I think It's more about watching when this is all happening so close to our lands."

"The kami don't fight for me though. I don't think shugenja are supposed to get into fights." There's a shift in attention at the whistling. The mask's ears were permanently pricked forward, but the slight tilt of her head indicated the woman's ears underneath were straining to hear more as well, picking out what information she could at a ditance.

"I was a little surprised that a ronin had an invitation, but I guess monks aren't as hung up on all those status and station things, huh?" At least, she thought the only samurai with only one name were ronin. The mountains weren't a great place to learn heraldry.
"Man, we really do have different shugenja..." Taka muses, only to have something distantly click. "Wait, ronin? What's this about a ronin?"

He look around everywhere, and doesn't see anyone else.

"Ohhhh. You've never met a Moto before, have you Naoko-san? I mean, I thought the horse and the purple everything a dead enough giveaway. I'm Moto Taka."

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm

Nearby, the other woman was moving closer in her search for other animals. She'd nearly forgotten about the other two, it was only when the horse came into view again that she remembered.

Another whistle up at the final bird flying away for winter and a sigh before looking back at the horse and saying "you look bored" quietly in its direction. Her gift allowing the horse and her to understand each other.

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm

She blinks a bit and shakes her head. “No, can’t say I’ve met any Unicorn. The mountains aren’t very well-traveled by anyone outside the clan.” Well, there were spies, but that wasn’t a border that was going to see Unicorn spies. “Just always learned samurai always used two names, unless they’re close friends or family, while ronin have only one with no lord or family. Ronin, I’ve met.” She thinks a moment. “But it’s true none of them wore purple, or had a horse.”

“Are the shugenja among you more…” she searches for a word, then brandishes the stick, miming a swing...”fighty?”

Looking over at said horse, she stiffens slightly In surprise to see someone new, nostrils flaring with an involuntary attempt to catch the newcomer’s scent, which wasn’t going to happen at this distance with this nose. Still, she knows Hanakuso’s scorn when she’s interrupted _his_ conversations, so she doesn’t interrupt the horse’s beyond noticing it exists.

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:44 am

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm
Nearby, the other woman was moving closer in her search for other animals. She'd nearly forgotten about the other two, it was only when the horse came into view again that she remembered.

Another whistle up at the final bird flying away for winter and a sigh before looking back at the horse and saying "you look bored" quietly in its direction. Her gift allowing the horse and her to understand each other.
The horse named Koku, who calls himself "Hard Rider" pulls his ears back and snorts.

"It's been a long journey, and Straight Path always makes stops like this. It's a high mountain, a rest won't hurt. Do you have any snacks?"
Soshi Naoko wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm
She blinks a bit and shakes her head. “No, can’t say I’ve met any Unicorn. The mountains aren’t very well-traveled by anyone outside the clan.” Well, there were spies, but that wasn’t a border that was going to see Unicorn spies. “Just always learned samurai always used two names, unless they’re close friends or family, while ronin have only one with no lord or family. Ronin, I’ve met.” She thinks a moment. “But it’s true none of them wore purple, or had a horse.”

“Are the shugenja among you more…” she searches for a word, then brandishes the stick, miming a swing...”fighty?”

Looking over at said horse, she stiffens slightly In surprise to see someone new, nostrils flaring with an involuntary attempt to catch the newcomer’s scent, which wasn’t going to happen at this distance with this nose. Still, she knows Hanakuso’s scorn when she’s interrupted _his_ conversations, so she doesn’t interrupt the horse’s beyond noticing it exists.
"I guess? I just usually don't bother with a second name much. I probably spend too much time around people in my Clan, who pretty much know I'm a Moto. I mean, to them the mon is a dead giveaway but" Taka starts to count off on his fingers. "I'm not a trader, or a priest. I'm not one the ones in charge, and Koku isn't one of the special shiny horses. Sorry Koku."

Taka turns back, offering an apologetic look to his mount. "You're a special tough as iron horse, and I love you"

He turns back to the Scorpion. "So to them being a Moto is obvious. I'm gonna be honest with you, I just didn't think about it."

"As for our shugenja" Taka's expression turns guilty. "I don't know a lot about it, but I think it's what they call "results oriented".

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:44 am
The horse named Koku, who calls himself "Hard Rider" pulls his ears back and snorts.

"It's been a long journey, and Straight Path always makes stops like this. It's a high mountain, a rest won't hurt. Do you have any snacks?"
Finally some more interesting conversations.

"Humans always make stops for strange reasons that I never understand" Sumire said in an understanding tone, taking out some of her travel rations "best I can offer is some vegetables. A carrot maybe?" she held up the orange vegetable.

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:49 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am

"Humans always make stops for strange reasons that I never understand" Sumire said in an understanding tone, taking out some of her travel rations "best I can offer is some vegetables. A carrot maybe?" she held up the orange vegetable.
"Hard Rider" flicks and ear and wordlessly chomps down on the carrot, chewing loudly. "The things I do for my partner." Sumire can hear a hint of amusement in the horse's comment.

Taka turns to see

Good kami, another beautiful woman?

"Umm. Hello. That's my horse." He looks over the scene, Koku happily munching away and tilting his head back and forth between the newcomer and him. "He seems to like you."

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:16 am

She nods absently, absorbing the differences of life among the Moto with internal notes to learn more when not distracted by conversations with a horse…some more one-sided than others. “Sorry for being confused by simple names…probably obvious to folks who’ve been around more people in the courts and such. Scorpion seem to be pretty strict on names, but shugenja also tend to be results-orientedl. Pragmatic. Hmm…but I guess you could say there’s a difference in what results they’re aiming at.”

A half smile quirks beneath the mask. “I think Koku’s been finding a friend. Works fast. Are all Unicorn and their horses so good at making acquaintances? I mean…middle of a rather quiet forest and you’ve found two in no time at all.”