[D1 EM] Journy's end, Journey's Start [village, open]

Seppun Akimitsu

[D1 EM] Journy's end, Journey's Start [village, open]

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm

Akimitsu arrived at the village at the foot of the mountain that contained the monastery he was sent to. The young man arrived with a small group that were travelling the same direction. He wore his armor as he traveled on the back of a horse from the Imperial stables, it was a borrowed animal for the trip but over the time he had grown a small attachment to the beast.

Regardless he stepped down from the horse gracefully armor making only minor clatter. Many stared as a samurai in lacquered armor was likely a rare sight for a village of this size, not to mention this armor was more eye catching than most. polished to shine, the armor was clearly of superior quality, green slats accented with bright gold and bright gold Seppun mon worked into it.

Akimitsu slung his back over his shoulder and looked around for any others that were preparing to head up the mountain.
Imperial * Bushi * Imperial Guard * Quick * Important Ancestor * Fierce * Blunt
Glory: Reputable | Honour: Ideal | Status: Imperial
Carries: Daisho, fine kimono, jitte, glorious lacquered armor (where allowed), omamori of Fukurokujin

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Re: [D1 EM] Journy's end, Journey's Start [village, open]

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:40 am

Seppun Akimitsu wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm
Akimitsu arrived at the village at the foot of the mountain that contained the monastery he was sent to. The young man arrived with a small group that were travelling the same direction. He wore his armor as he traveled on the back of a horse from the Imperial stables, it was a borrowed animal for the trip but over the time he had grown a small attachment to the beast.

Regardless he stepped down from the horse gracefully armor making only minor clatter. Many stared as a samurai in lacquered armor was likely a rare sight for a village of this size, not to mention this armor was more eye catching than most. polished to shine, the armor was clearly of superior quality, green slats accented with bright gold and bright gold Seppun mon worked into it.

Akimitsu slung his back over his shoulder and looked around for any others that were preparing to head up the mountain.

Date: Day 1 of The Sweeping Monk Incident
Time: Hour of the Dragon
Weather: Cold, previous evening snowfall impeding early morning travel
Breakfast: Rice ball and Dried Fish from rations issued before leaving home.

Having arrived at the village just as the snow began to seriously come down yesterday, I arose early, donned my practical travelling clothes, partook of some of my rations to spare my hosts the trouble of feeding their unexpected guest, thanked them for their hospitality, and took my leave of their humble dwelling to resume my journey to the monastery.

Early reports have stated that quite a large contingent of samurai from a multitude of clans are being drawn by the news of Sensei Wu. It is a remote location, and a humble art that brings them forth this way. One wonders at the motivations and expectations that they bring with them.

For example, not long after departing the dwelling, I observed a man on horseback with a small retinue and the Imperial Chrysanthemum on his rather expensive armor. The nobility of his blood was written plainly across his face, though whether one viewed his features as handsome, arrogant, or cruel, said much more about the viewer, than the viewed. Most would not expect to find such a man in such an out of the way place. The obviously out of the ordinary deserves as much attention as the completely mundane, lest one find oneself caught off guard. With such in mind, I approached the group, gave a polite bow, and introduced myself.

- From the journals of Kitsuki Kindaichi, The Sweeping Monk Incident

"Good morning noble travelers. You have come quite far and your journey is not yet done. I am Kitsuki Kindaichi, and I hope the roads of my clan have been kind to man and beast alike." he offered.
Last edited by Kitsuki Kindaichi on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki
Glory: Reputable || Honor: Ideal || Status: Average

Gear: Travelling Clothes, Wakizashi, Journal of Observations, Calligraphy Kit

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:44 am

The pair are joined moments later by a Dragon in armor walking up, pack slung over one shoulder, tails of a headband fluttering, stitched indigo jacket showing its worth against the cold.

He bows.

"Seppun-sama," he says--for who does not know the Chrysanthemum and Laurel?--and "Cousin"--knowing the other Kitsuki's mon as his own. "It is trusted you have eaten rice today?"

He offers another bow. "Kitsuki Ketsudan, Niten-ryu," he says, by way of introduction.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:57 am

Akimitsu regarded the two who approached him and gave an appropriate bow to them both "Good day Kitsuki-sans, I indeed ate on the road. The roads treat us well, there were minimal inconveniences and many parts of the journey were quite beautiful." He said matter of factly regarding the two men with emotionless eyes.

"This one is Seppun Akimitsu, I am happy to meet you both." He looked between them "are either or both of you local to the area?"
Carries: Daisho, fine kimono, jitte, glorious lacquered armor (where allowed), omamori of Fukurokujin

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am

"First time here," Ketsudan replies. "These Seikitsu are far different from the Great Wall of the North, whose gentler southern reaches have been a home. But much seems similar, even if warmer.

But the Tao speaks of the unity of things, does it not?"
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:35 pm

Kindaichi shook his head at the Seppun's inquiry.

"Ie, one of the things the Dragon clan is rich in is in remote isolated villages. I am from Surudoi Me Kogeki-Mura. I wouldn't expect Seppun-sama to know about it." he admitted.

Though he did expect his fellow kitsuki to know about it, even if he'd never been.

"While we cannot give you a local's insight, I believe Kitsuki-san and I would be happy to share our clan's hospitality and journey with you to the monastery, if you were so inclined."

He smiled a bit at his fellow Kitsuki.

"As it is said, after all, 'If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher." he quoted.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm

A slight grin, not least because Ketsudan is familiar with the village. Paperwork knows no boundaries, after all, and the office where he has clerked sees a large part of its northward flow.

"There are lessons in all places and things," he says, and then he grins a bit more. "But perhaps the lesson of the second step might be delayed a bit?"
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:02 pm

"Yes, company up the mountain would be welcome. We can learn about each other, afterall if you are also here for the teachings of the Monk then we will be together for a few days at least." He said
Shouldering his pack again and turning toward the path to the monetary.

"you are correct, I have never heard of it before. Is there anything of note about it?" He asked looking to Kindaichi.

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:22 pm

Seppun Akimitsu wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:02 pm
"Yes, company up the mountain would be welcome. We can learn about each other, afterall if you are also here for the teachings of the Monk then we will be together for a few days at least." He said
Shouldering his pack again and turning toward the path to the monetary.

"you are correct, I have never heard of it before. Is there anything of note about it?" He asked looking to Kindaichi.
Kindaichi nodded starting down the path with the friends met upon the road.

"Ah, well, it's important to my Family, Seppun-sama. It's a training grounds for the Kitsuki Investigators." he explained. "I would suppose that Seppun-sama's own interest would be greater or lesser depending on the focus of his training. The Seppun family has, after all, trained the finest yojimbos of the Empire, though not every Seppun serves in such a role."
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:22 pm
Kindaichi nodded starting down the path with the friends met upon the road.

"Ah, well, it's important to my Family, Seppun-sama. It's a training grounds for the Kitsuki Investigators." he explained. "I would suppose that Seppun-sama's own interest would be greater or lesser depending on the focus of his training. The Seppun family has, after all, trained the finest yojimbos of the Empire, though not every Seppun serves in such a role."
"We are all trained in the ways of the yojimbo even if we do not serve as such." He explained plainly "In many ways guarding a building is not so different than guarding a person. Easier in some way, harder in others." he paused a little "I have heard a little of the kitsuki method, you do not take the word of samurai but rather look for evidence and clues?" the question clear in his voice but any other emotion hidden behind his eyes.
Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm
A slight grin, not least because Ketsudan is familiar with the village. Paperwork knows no boundaries, after all, and the office where he has clerked sees a large part of its northward flow.

"There are lessons in all places and things," he says, and then he grins a bit more. "But perhaps the lesson of the second step might be delayed a bit?"
He regarded both men "So are you both from that village then? or do you have different training Kitsuki-san?" he asked looking to Ketsudan

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 am

Seppun Akimitsu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am
He regarded both men "So are you both from that village then? or do you have different training Kitsuki-san?" he asked looking to Ketsudan
A blink of surprise.

Did my words mean nothing? he thinks. But he is an Imperial.

"I am trained in Niten-ryu," Ketsudan says, "the sword style founded by the Dragon Thunder. And I am stationed more permanently in a village not far from the Dragonfly lands--perhaps the first stop along that path in the Dragon lands, unless one has an excellent tent or exceptionally fast feet."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 pm

Seppun Akimitsu wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am

"We are all trained in the ways of the yojimbo even if we do not serve as such." He explained plainly "In many ways guarding a building is not so different than guarding a person. Easier in some way, harder in others." he paused a little "I have heard a little of the kitsuki method, you do not take the word of samurai but rather look for evidence and clues?" the question clear in his voice but any other emotion hidden behind his eyes.
Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm

Kindachi had been training to resist eye-rolling at this particular assertion.

"I would say that to say the Kitsuki method ignores testimony in favor of evidence is no more true than to say that a Seppun's training ignores attacking in favor of defending." he said with a shake of the head.

"Seppun-sama would surely agree that an honorable samurai's testimony holds more weight than a guilty criminal's. Yet a guilty criminal will do their utmost to convince you that they are an honorable samurai. After all, if you accept their lies as truths, they will avoid punishment. So how do we determine their guilt without the testimony of another higher up than them?" he posed.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:37 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:06 am
A blink of surprise.

Did my words mean nothing? he thinks. But he is an Imperial.

"I am trained in Niten-ryu," Ketsudan says, "the sword style founded by the Dragon Thunder. And I am stationed more permanently in a village not far from the Dragonfly lands--perhaps the first stop along that path in the Dragon lands, unless one has an excellent tent or exceptionally fast feet."
"Ah, yes, you mentioned that, it must have slipped my mind." He inclined his head as they walked "my apologies, it was an exceptionally early morning Kitsuki-san."
Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 pm
Kindachi had been training to resist eye-rolling at this particular assertion.

"I would say that to say the Kitsuki method ignores testimony in favor of evidence is no more true than to say that a Seppun's training ignores attacking in favor of defending." he said with a shake of the head.

"Seppun-sama would surely agree that an honorable samurai's testimony holds more weight than a guilty criminal's. Yet a guilty criminal will do their utmost to convince you that they are an honorable samurai. After all, if you accept their lies as truths, they will avoid punishment. So how do we determine their guilt without the testimony of another higher up than them?" he posed.
Akimitsu gave the other man a look, the light furrowing of his brow the only indication of confusion "Well if testimony seems insufficient to decide the matter then the accused would duel their accuser or champions of such. The Heavens will expose the truth of any crime or false words."

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:41 pm

"The evidence allows for determination of whom to accuse in situations where as much may be in doubt," Ketsudan notes. "Or so my father said to me."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Kindaichi nodded.

"Seppun-sama and Kitsuki-san both raise excellent points. The duel is, after all, the final word in such a dispute, as Seppun-sama notes. But as Kitsuki-san notes, evidence can provide the first words, which precede the final one. One cannot simply point at an empty room, or at a passerby and duel their way to a satisfactory solution. Leading back into my point that Kitsuki's method is not a replacement for testimony, it augments the investigation, so the right people can be asked the right questions." he concluded.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:56 pm

Akimitsu nods, his face slightly pensive as they walk "hm something to think on. There may be something there, new ways to catch those who attempt to escape heaven's judgement are always welcome."

He looked to the other dragon "Niten-ryu, this is the two bladed style of swordsmanship yes? An interesting study, I have never actually seen one who practices it in action. I have read scrolls about it but that is about it."

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm

"Nor have I seen Miharu-ryu in action, though the stories make it out to be formidable, indeed," Ketsudan replies. "Perhaps we will have the chance to learn from one another as we learn together?

"Because I cannot imagine that I would face it in earnest."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:14 am

Kindaichi nodded.

"Ah, speaking of learning, might I ask what the two of you have heard about our potential sensei? I've certainly found many colorful stories about him of varying levels of believability." he requested.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:28 am

"Battou-sama suggested that the reports are somewhat exaggerated, but only somewhat, cousin," Ketsudan replies. "But he was not entirely certain of what was exaggerated and what was accurate. Evidence, he said, was inconclusive on those points. Given the proficiencies of some of the Clan and the certainty that there is more we do not know than what we do, it could hardly be otherwise."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:51 pm

Akimitsu was looking at the path ahead but was listening to the exchange "I have heard nothing but that he is eccentric and a master of his art. Frankly that is all I am interested in, to learn more ways to defend myself and by extension the Emperor and his home. Being skilled at fighting armed assailants with nothing but a stick seems a useful tool."