(D1, LM Meditation Garden) Considering Dirt Among Rocks (Open)

Kitsuki Kindaichi

(D1, LM Meditation Garden) Considering Dirt Among Rocks (Open)

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 pm

Date: Day 1 of the Sweeping Monk Incident
Weather: Cold, Sunny

Having parted ways with my distant relative and our Seppun guest, and having presented my gift of thanks to the Abbess, I sought time to reflect upon the Abbess's wisdom. It seemed to me the library would offer little insight into her words. It was a repository of Then, not Now. So I sought out the ever shifting meditation garden to consider her words.

On the whole, they were words of encouragement. Brother Hiro had, after all, already been accepted as a pupil of Master Wu. She seemed to recognize potential in myself. But what did it mean to put aside one's training to focus on the now? Were there blind spots even in Kitsuki's teachings? Was my focus misdirected? I focused on the shifting patterns of the rock garden, listening for the answers upon the wind.

-Kitsuki Kindaichi, The Sweeping Monk Incident
Dragon Clan || Yoriki
Glory: Reputable || Honor: Ideal || Status: Average

Gear: Travelling Clothes, Wakizashi, Journal of Observations, Calligraphy Kit

Seppun Hibiki

Re: (D1, LM Meditation Garden) Considering Dirt Among Rocks (Open)

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:02 am

Another had come to the garden in contemplation. The Imperial with the wide hat sat on one of the rock, staring at the ground. She seemed to be studying what remained of the snow in particular. Noticing the Dragon, she offered a nod in greeting.

"Good morning, Kitsuki-san."
Imperial Shugenja Artisan Astrologer Healer Frail Tea Lover Too Honest
Glory: Reputable | Honor: Ideal | Status: Imperial

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:07 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:02 am
Another had come to the garden in contemplation. The Imperial with the wide hat sat on one of the rock, staring at the ground. She seemed to be studying what remained of the snow in particular. Noticing the Dragon, she offered a nod in greeting.

"Good morning, Kitsuki-san."
Clearly the Kitsuki had been aware of the Seppun's arrival rather than being lost in thought.

He bowed repectfully.

"Seppun-sama, good morning. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one drawn to the garden after getting settled in." he admitted. "I trust the monastery's hospitality has been satisfactory thus far?"
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 am

"It isn't quite what I expected, but it has charm." There was a slight smile. "What do you think of it?"

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 am
"It isn't quite what I expected, but it has charm." There was a slight smile. "What do you think of it?"
Kindachi considered the question for a moment while the winds slightly changed the pattern of the garden.

"It certainly fits into a certain school of thought in regards to teaching." he admits. "This is about as free of distractions as you can get when studying. There will simply be the teacher, the students and the mountain."

A small shrug.

"Of course, there are those who support this style of teaching and those who do not. It can be argued that the simplicity of the location means that the student's entire focus can be on the lessons to learn, while it's detractors would argue that life is full of distractions and learning in an environment free of them does not prepare one for the real world." he offered.

He tilted his head a little bit at the Seppun.

"What are Seppun-sama's thoughts on the matter?"
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:14 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 am
Kindachi considered the question for a moment while the winds slightly changed the pattern of the garden.

"It certainly fits into a certain school of thought in regards to teaching." he admits. "This is about as free of distractions as you can get when studying. There will simply be the teacher, the students and the mountain."

A small shrug.

"Of course, there are those who support this style of teaching and those who do not. It can be argued that the simplicity of the location means that the student's entire focus can be on the lessons to learn, while it's detractors would argue that life is full of distractions and learning in an environment free of them does not prepare one for the real world." he offered.

He tilted his head a little bit at the Seppun.

"What are Seppun-sama's thoughts on the matter?"
She shrugged. "The setting is different. There are different challenges and different distractions. That certainly suggests a difference in what we might learn. But, is it a greater difference than our individual approaches to learning? Honestly, I don't know, but I am curious."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:11 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:14 am

She shrugged. "The setting is different. There are different challenges and different distractions. That certainly suggests a difference in what we might learn. But, is it a greater difference than our individual approaches to learning? Honestly, I don't know, but I am curious."
Hideachi smiled a bit.

"Everything is the same because it's always different." he quoted. "Though I'd be interested in knowing more about how your personal experience is different, Seppun-sama, if you're not averse to discussing it. I realize, of course, much must remain a carefully guarded secret when it comes to training, but I'm certain the particulars of one's experience with their sensei is unlikely to reveal the key to their school's power."

Hideachi hoped that wasn't too pushy, but it wasn't like his normal duties saw him surrounded with Seppun to chat with.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:11 am
Hideachi smiled a bit.

"Everything is the same because it's always different." he quoted. "Though I'd be interested in knowing more about how your personal experience is different, Seppun-sama, if you're not averse to discussing it. I realize, of course, much must remain a carefully guarded secret when it comes to training, but I'm certain the particulars of one's experience with their sensei is unlikely to reveal the key to their school's power."

Hideachi hoped that wasn't too pushy, but it wasn't like his normal duties saw him surrounded with Seppun to chat with.
She almost laughed.

"I've never been the type to obscure things. In truth, my interest here is not with the training, not directly." She gestured to the staff on the ground beside her. "I have a staff, but I don't use it for defense. I've never hit anything with it. For me, it's simply a walking stick, a sturdy piece of bamboo to lean on while I need to catch my breath. I'm more interested in the sensei's wanderings and what insights he's gained during them. There may be things I can learn from him that pertain to my duties, and my personal interests. Although, it would be nice to learn new ways to use my staff."

"I have traveled a bit myself, including a visit with the Agasha. I have found some locations to be very challenging for me to learn in, but the experiences have still been valuable." She took a deep breath of the cold mountain air. "This may have its difficulties as well, but I look forward to whatever I might gain from it."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:16 pm

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm

She almost laughed.

"I've never been the type to obscure things. In truth, my interest here is not with the training, not directly." She gestured to the staff on the ground beside her. "I have a staff, but I don't use it for defense. I've never hit anything with it. For me, it's simply a walking stick, a sturdy piece of bamboo to lean on while I need to catch my breath. I'm more interested in the sensei's wanderings and what insights he's gained during them. There may be things I can learn from him that pertain to my duties, and my personal interests. Although, it would be nice to learn new ways to use my staff."

"I have traveled a bit myself, including a visit with the Agasha. I have found some locations to be very challenging for me to learn in, but the experiences have still been valuable." She took a deep breath of the cold mountain air. "This may have its difficulties as well, but I look forward to whatever I might gain from it."
The words certainly matched the story told by the Seppun's appearance. She did seem a bit on the delicate side, but there was clearly a desire to learn, even if it wasn't a topic that they deemed useful. It was interesting that she was another person who claimed no particular interest in becoming the sensei's pupil. There seemed to be a gap between the sensei's interpretation of the numbers gathered and reality.

"The lands of the Dragon can be somewhat...unforgiving in their nature." he offers. "Though hopefully my clan's hospitality made your visit to the home of the Agasha worth the trip. Might I ask where you call home, Seppun-sama? I'd be interested in learning more about it."
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:16 pm
The words certainly matched the story told by the Seppun's appearance. She did seem a bit on the delicate side, but there was clearly a desire to learn, even if it wasn't a topic that they deemed useful. It was interesting that she was another person who claimed no particular interest in becoming the sensei's pupil. There seemed to be a gap between the sensei's interpretation of the numbers gathered and reality.

"The lands of the Dragon can be somewhat...unforgiving in their nature." he offers. "Though hopefully my clan's hospitality made your visit to the home of the Agasha worth the trip. Might I ask where you call home, Seppun-sama? I'd be interested in learning more about it."
"The Dragon were considerate and generous. The trip was difficult and I did not find what I hoped for, but I took away some comfort from my time there." she smiled. "New ways to ease my difficulties and soothe my spirit."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:40 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 am

"The Dragon were considerate and generous. The trip was difficult and I did not find what I hoped for, but I took away some comfort from my time there." she smiled. "New ways to ease my difficulties and soothe my spirit."
Kindachi nods.

"Ah, I see. I've spoken with our village alchemist from time to time on such matters. If I am not chosen as Sensei Wu's pupil, I'll likely spend next Winter learning the basics of medicine from them." he offered.

He considered the rock garden for a moment.

"What do you hope to find here, Seppun-sama?"
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm

"I'm not sure." She admitted after a moment of thought. "I am very aware that I may never find a solution for my ailments. If I cannot, I need to find new ways to live with them. Like drifting snow, my perspective may need to change."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:50 pm

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:44 pm
"I'm not sure." She admitted after a moment of thought. "I am very aware that I may never find a solution for my ailments. If I cannot, I need to find new ways to live with them. Like drifting snow, my perspective may need to change."
Well, there was certainly no question about the Seppun's honesty to speak so openly about their problems.

"Hm, I see. Perhaps the answers are not here, but I do not believe that they do not exist. The Empire is vast, and each of the clans have their own traditions. Who can say who holds it be it the Isawa, the Iuchi, the Asahina, the Yogo, the Kitsu, the Kuni, or even the Mantis...."

He rubbed the back of his head.

"Ah, perhaps it's forward of me to say so Seppun-sama, but I believe that you are the sort of person who will follow their path despite the difficulties." he concluded.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:52 pm

"I've been called 'stubborn'." she nodded. "But, I prefer 'determined'."

"What were you contemplating out here, Kitsuki-san?" She asked. "or, were you just admiting the rocks?"

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:46 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:52 pm
"I've been called 'stubborn'." she nodded. "But, I prefer 'determined'."

"What were you contemplating out here, Kitsuki-san?" She asked. "or, were you just admiting the rocks?"
Kindachi smiled a bit.

"Do you not find them worthy of admiration, Seppun-sama? If the purpose of existence is to perfectly fit our roles in life, these rocks have surely met their purpose." he joked.

He shook his head.

"Ah but no, I was considering something Mother Tokiko said to me. In essence, she noted potential in me, but suggested that my weakness was being unable to set aside my training, and live in the now."

He shrugged a bit.

"These rocks exist in the now....but they've also been formed by years and years of their exposure to the elements. They cannot, say suddenly get up and walk away because the Dragon is being too loud in the now. So I came to ponder the distinction. And yourself?"
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:14 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:46 am
Kindachi smiled a bit.

"Do you not find them worthy of admiration, Seppun-sama? If the purpose of existence is to perfectly fit our roles in life, these rocks have surely met their purpose." he joked.

He shook his head.

"Ah but no, I was considering something Mother Tokiko said to me. In essence, she noted potential in me, but suggested that my weakness was being unable to set aside my training, and live in the now."

He shrugged a bit.

"These rocks exist in the now....but they've also been formed by years and years of their exposure to the elements. They cannot, say suddenly get up and walk away because the Dragon is being too loud in the now. So I came to ponder the distinction. And yourself?"
"We were here for similar reasons, then." she responded. "As I mentioned, I was considering what new paths I might take, how I might move forward. I cannot simply continue searching for a cure, without considering other options."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:57 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:14 am

"We were here for similar reasons, then." she responded. "As I mentioned, I was considering what new paths I might take, how I might move forward. I cannot simply continue searching for a cure, without considering other options."
Kindachi frowned a bit at the Seppun's words, considering.

"It occurs to me, Seppun-sama, with no disrespect meant to those who do this, that it is much easier to tell someone to live in the now, than it actually is to act on such words. Without digging too much into the particulars, I would think your quandary is fairly binary. Either you are seeking a cure, or you are simply managing the problem without curing it. Though I'm sure Soshi-san would disagree, I simply do not see a third option for you." he admitted.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 am

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:57 am
Kindachi frowned a bit at the Seppun's words, considering.

"It occurs to me, Seppun-sama, with no disrespect meant to those who do this, that it is much easier to tell someone to live in the now, than it actually is to act on such words. Without digging too much into the particulars, I would think your quandary is fairly binary. Either you are seeking a cure, or you are simply managing the problem without curing it. Though I'm sure Soshi-san would disagree, I simply do not see a third option for you." he admitted.
"The third option would be to do nothing at all, which is not in consideration." she shook her head. "However, there is more to it than seeking a cure or choosing an ongoing treatment. My family has enough influence, that we could send others to do the research. Steps could be taken to lessen my duties as well. I could simply convalesce at Kyuden Seppun or a monastery somewhere, while others search for solutions. Or, to the other extreme,, I can push myself to the end, race to find a miracle before the strain overwhelms me."

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:54 am

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:59 am

"The third option would be to do nothing at all, which is not in consideration." she shook her head. "However, there is more to it than seeking a cure or choosing an ongoing treatment. My family has enough influence, that we could send others to do the research. Steps could be taken to lessen my duties as well. I could simply convalesce at Kyuden Seppun or a monastery somewhere, while others search for solutions. Or, to the other extreme,, I can push myself to the end, race to find a miracle before the strain overwhelms me."
Kindachi considered the shifting of the rock garden along with the wind.

"I suppose that is true. Of course, while the results of not finding the cure you seek is similar to the result of doing nothing, they are different in their own way."

He shook his head.

"A difficult problem, Seppun-sama. On the one hand, you can argue that limiting yourself to covalence while others work on your behalf maximizes the amount of time to work and the amount of effort that can be provided to the solution. "

he picks up two rocks weighing each in his hands.

"On the other hand, you are a samurai, not an ikebana display. You feel the weight of duty, the expectations of your ancestors, and feel the need to act." he offers.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:09 am

"Exactly." she nodded. "There's also the matter of continuing my line. And, of leaving argacy. And on, and on."