GM questions

The sweeping monk

GM questions

Post by The sweeping monk » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:21 am

For all your questions only the GM can decide the answer of: Mechanical elements, setting elements that are too critical to be handwaved, etc.

Kakita Sumire

Re: GM questions

Post by Kakita Sumire » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 pm

Could we have the signature count upped at all? It's currently 255 and I've gone over that without really trying :lol: could it be like 300?
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Glory: Reputable |Honour: Appearances| Status: Average Great clan samurai
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books
Sometimes accompanied by an attendant called Miki

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:03 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:52 pm
Could we have the signature count upped at all? It's currently 255 and I've gone over that without really trying :lol: could it be like 300?
Sure. Upped to 1024.

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:44 am

On this here:
Making the news

Each character may keep a Have you heard? thread in their private forum, with, for each in-game day, a list of posts that they think would make good starting points for rumors on the next day.

The GM team (of one) will not necessarily use them all, but it'll help greatly with me not missing all the creativity and smooching that should make noise but a human GM with limited time would have missed on their own.

In addition, once per day, a character might roll TN3 Courtesy (Air) to force in a rumor of their own, which might be completely baseless.
For simplicity's sake, ignore strife and opportunity symbols for this roll. Likewise, Whispers of Court and Rustling of Leaves reduce the TN by 1 each instead of their normal effects.
If you succeed, drop a link to the roll and the content of the rumor in your Have you heard? thread.

PMs will be sent to players whose characters might make the news to get their approval beforehand in all cases.
Rustling of leaves originally also makes it harder for others to find the source of a rumour. Will that also be a possibility here?

Thanks! :)
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:37 am

Doji Riri wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:44 am
Rustling of leaves originally also makes it harder for others to find the source of a rumour. Will that also be a possibility here?
There is of course a bias because these things happen for the most part in private forums I don't have access to, but I've only witnessed one single attempt at tracking a rumor over the games I've looked through the last two years, and use of the search function on the different forums didn't bring up anything either.

So, as of now, my opinion on the "Track rumor" option is that it's a mana burn type of rule, adding complexity to solve an edge case that never present itself, and I've decided to try doing without it.

I could change my mind if I was provided with actual numbered data showing up "Track" is far more used than I thought.

Togashi Genkai

Post by Togashi Genkai » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:49 pm

I tried searching around for it but couldn't find it, so asking here: for abilities that specify "per session", would that be effectively "once per game" given this game's short duration?

Also a mechanical/fluff question here.
富樫 玄海 • Dragon • Tattooed Monk • Feng Shui Enthusiast • Artisan • Diviner • Blessed by Ebisu • Vow of Silence • Sixth Sense
Status 30 • Honour 40 • Glory 55 • Info

Has: Sanctified robes, bo, painter's tools, divination coins, bag of medicinal herbs.

Kitsu Hayato

Post by Kitsu Hayato » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:35 am

I also have a question: Is there a structure through which we should pace our background rolls for D1's "Settling In" actions? May we simply roll them all at once in the beginning and then roleplay out the consequences through the day?

If this seems like a foolish question, it's because I'm excited to start the game!
Lion Clan ⁍ Artisan ⁍ Storyteller ⁍ Dab Hand ⁍ Kitsu's Golden Cub
Standing: Idealist | Unremarkable | Great Clan Samurai
Carries: Wakizashi, Calligraphy Set, Journal, Shakuhachi
May Also Carry: Tessen, Yumi and Quiver, or Koto
[Profile]

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:07 am

Togashi Genkai wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:49 pm
I tried searching around for it but couldn't find it, so asking here: for abilities that specify "per session", would that be effectively "once per game" given this game's short duration?
You're not blind, I indeed forgot to mention it until now.

A session will be 3 IC days, so the game will effectively be two sessions, with once per session abilities recharged just in time for Day 4 conflict events.

To render under Caesar, this is once again something I've borrowed from the LBS short game.

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:12 am

Kitsu Hayato wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:35 am
I also have a question: Is there a structure through which we should pace our background rolls for D1's "Settling In" actions? May we simply roll them all at once in the beginning and then roleplay out the consequences through the day?
The later (roll all at once and then proceed with the day) indeed. Actually, I forgot to mention it elsewhere it would seem, but please make one single index post with a link to all your rolls in the event thread, so it's easier for me to track them.
Kitsu Hayato wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:35 am
If this seems like a foolish question, it's because I'm excited to start the game!
There are no foolish questions.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 am

Somehow had a mind blank and mixed up 2 ring ranks (was rolling as if water was 3! Think it was an earlier version). Do you want me to reroll the ones I used with water, or change them to use a trait that's at the right rank?
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:39 am

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 am
Somehow had a mind blank and mixed up 2 ring ranks (was rolling as if water was 3! Think it was an earlier version). Do you want me to reroll the ones I used with water, or change them to use a trait that's at the right rank?
None of the rolls you made using "Water" have element-locked effect, so I'm fine with the later, i.e. keep the roll as they are and just specify in post you meant Air when you wrote Water.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:23 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:11 am

If I wanted to do a fancily written scroll for my gift for the monastery, what Rarity would I use for purposes of rolling? Closest that comes to mind from the rules would be the 2 of Omamori, but I figured I'd check.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:21 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:11 am
If I wanted to do a fancily written scroll for my gift for the monastery, what Rarity would I use for purposes of rolling? Closest that comes to mind from the rules would be the 2 of Omamori, but I figured I'd check.
Any value of your choice from 1 (botched student work, the kind that can be found a dime a dozen) to 9 (original copy of a groundbreaking piece of art that still be revered in a few centuries). Rarity is more or less synonym of quality here.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:01 pm

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:47 am

I figure these two questions would apply to everyone:

1) Are there any limitations on leaving the monastery for the night so long as we are there in the morning for events?

2) Is sake available to purchase within the area of the game?
Known Winner | Curious | Flirtacious | Painfully Honest
Honor Is the Ideal | Ordinary Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:09 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:47 am
1) Are there any limitations on leaving the monastery for the night so long as we are there in the morning for events?
Outside of your two timeslots of sleep, no mechanical restriction. There's actually no gatekeeper at the monastery, people can more or less waltz in and out at any time of the day or the night.
Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:47 am
2) Is sake available to purchase within the area of the game?
You can find cheap to decent sake in quantity at the village, and maybe a bottle or two of a prestigious batch that the shopkeeper is keeping in their reserve just for occasions like this one.

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm

I'm a bit confused by the Divination option of the Event and wasn't sure who to target. Does it directly contribute to the Event or is it just an opportunity use Divination?
Imperial Shugenja Artisan Astrologer Healer Frail Tea Lover Too Honest
Glory: Reputable | Honor: Ideal | Status: Imperial

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:53 pm

Seppun Hibiki wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:36 pm
I'm a bit confused by the Divination option of the Event and wasn't sure who to target. Does it directly contribute to the Event or is it just an opportunity use Divination?
The later, but in hindsight, with how meh Divination is mechanically, it's just not a worth it spending an action for that.

Way to late in the day to change how it works for Day 1, especially after other people with that Ritual have rolled for the event. But a better opportunity to use it will be offered on Day 2.

Miya Yamashita

Post by Miya Yamashita » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:06 am

New private communication thread, and question. At your leisure.

viewtopic.php?f=32&p=543#p543
Imperial ☼ Miya Herald ☼ Incorrigible Gossip ☼ Children Hate Him ☼ Self-Important ☼ Impatient ☼ Fabulous

"Worship me."

Description | Attended by Yakumo, Ji-samurai.