GM questions

Boku

Re: GM questions

Post by Boku » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 am

Just realized I accidentally incremented both my day and my action during one of my rolls so it's labeled as D3. It is labeled as the event as well. I assume that will be ok (especially since it failed anyway) or did you want a reroll?
Monk • Peasant Born • Blind • Daredevil • Worst Komuso Ever • Friend of the Brotherhood*

Carried: Tengai, sanctified robes, bo (as walking stick), omamori, scroll satchel, shakuhachi

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:01 am

Boku wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:58 am
Just realized I accidentally incremented both my day and my action during one of my rolls so it's labeled as D3. It is labeled as the event as well. I assume that will be ok (especially since it failed anyway) or did you want a reroll?
Is okay, the real life date of the roll makes it clear it's a Day 2 event anyway.

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 am

Will Navigator apply to the Survival check for Sensei Wu's Game, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30&start=3?
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:49 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:17 am
Will Navigator apply to the Survival check for Sensei Wu's Game, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30&start=3?
Yes, but only one of the two checks, like the Miya Cartographer School Ability. Event post edited to include it.

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:52 am

Moto Taka wrote:Can you use a distinction more than once in a event?
Yes.

Kakita Sumire

Post by Kakita Sumire » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:25 pm

For this (as it wasn't clear to me):
Cross-reference your sources: If you interacted with 3 or more different characters (successfully or not), you gain 1 Impression point. If you interacted with 5 or more different characters, gain yet another 1 additional Impression point (for a total of +2).
Does Sensei Wu and the man with a basket on his head count as two different characters?
Crane Clan * Artisan * Courtier* Exceptional Performer * Animal Whisperer * Good Eyesight * Adventure Seeker * Loves the Outdoors * Not your usual Crane * Profile
Glory: Reputable |Honour: Appearances| Status: Average Great clan samurai
Carries: Wakizashi, Yumi (rarely), Pretty Clothes, Biwa, Flute, Calligraphy kit, Sake Cup, Inappropriate Pillow Books
Sometimes accompanied by an attendant called Miki

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Kakita Sumire wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:25 pm
For this (as it wasn't clear to me):
Cross-reference your sources: If you interacted with 3 or more different characters (successfully or not), you gain 1 Impression point. If you interacted with 5 or more different characters, gain yet another 1 additional Impression point (for a total of +2).
Does Sensei Wu and the man with a basket on his head count as two different characters?
Yes. Post updated for clarity.

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:14 pm

In the interest of fairness, would Perfectionism apply to Mother Tokiko's respite, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30&start=2?
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:14 pm
In the interest of fairness, would Perfectionism apply to Mother Tokiko's respite, viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30&start=2?
Hmm. Yes it should. Post edited to add it.

Perfectionism is one of these disadvantages that could technically apply to everything and anything, so I try not to overuse it, but yes, this one action is pretty much one of the examples the book gives for it, so no escape here.

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm

The sweeping monk wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm
Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:14 pm
Hmm. Yes it should. Post edited to add it.

Perfectionism is one of these disadvantages that could technically apply to everything and anything, so I try not to overuse it, but yes, this one action is pretty much one of the examples the book gives for it, so no escape here.
Right.

I asked mostly because of the parallel to the D1 event.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Miya Yamashita

Post by Miya Yamashita » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:09 am

Something I wanted to clarify, as I understand Attendants are a little altered.

When rolling for assistance from an attendant is this:
A) doable in events?
B) How is it handled for this game, is it a replacement or is the NPC profile rolling on my behalf?

Thank you for your time!
Imperial ☼ Miya Herald ☼ Incorrigible Gossip ☼ Children Hate Him ☼ Self-Important ☼ Impatient ☼ Fabulous

"Worship me."

Description | Attended by Yakumo, Ji-samurai.

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:45 am

Miya Yamashita wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:09 am
Something I wanted to clarify, as I understand Attendants are a little altered.

When rolling for assistance from an attendant is this:
A) doable in events?
B) How is it handled for this game, is it a replacement or is the NPC profile rolling on my behalf?

Thank you for your time!
A) Yes.
B) They don't roll in your stead. However, once a day, they can grant Assistance to something your character is doing, i.e. grant an extra rolled and kept die on any check kinda like a Void point. See here for more.

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:49 am

This reminds me I completely forgot to use my assistant bonus on both days! :|

Might not make much of a difference, but could I maybe add one rolled (and possibly kept) die to one of my checks for D2? :roll:
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:58 am

Doji Riri wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:49 am
Might not make much of a difference, but could I maybe add one rolled (and possibly kept) die to one of my checks for D2? :roll:
I'll allow it but only a randomly determined check, to avoid both a full reroll of the check and getting advantage from the prescience of knowing how everything else will turn out.

Namely, you can manually add one rolled and kept die on the Hiro's Explanation check.

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:01 am

The sweeping monk wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:58 am
Doji Riri wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:49 am
I'll allow it but only a randomly determined check, to avoid both a full reroll of the check and getting advantage from the prescience of knowing how everything else will turn out.

Namely, you can manually add one rolled and kept die on the Hiro's Explanation check.
Fair :) And sorry for the dumbness!
Gonna crash down soon so I'll do the extra roll tomorrow. Assuming I can just do that as a new roll with a single die?

Thanks again!
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:03 am

Doji Riri wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:01 am
Assuming I can just do that as a new roll with a single die?
Sure.

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 pm

As per discussion with Soshi-san, I'd like to make sure it would be ok to have a scary story night say on the LE of Day 3? No GM participation required, though any monks who wanted to share scary monk stories would be welcome of course.

Just wanted to confirm it didn't interfere with the plans of the gm, thanks!
Dragon Clan || Yoriki
Glory: Reputable || Honor: Ideal || Status: Average

Gear: Travelling Clothes, Wakizashi, Journal of Observations, Calligraphy Kit

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:57 pm

Kitsuki Kindaichi wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 pm
As per discussion with Soshi-san, I'd like to make sure it would be ok to have a scary story night say on the LE of Day 3? No GM participation required, though any monks who wanted to share scary monk stories would be welcome of course.

Just wanted to confirm it didn't interfere with the plans of the gm, thanks!
Not at all, have you fun.

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:47 am

I've been a bit too quiet and not that active so it hasn't come up yer, but just in case - for any rolls outside events (I think the only obvious thing that comes to mind atm is rumours?), I'm assuming we can only spend Void if we have some left unused from the event?

Thanks! :)

The sweeping monk

Post by The sweeping monk » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:51 am

Doji Riri wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:47 am
I've been a bit too quiet and not that active so it hasn't come up yer, but just in case - for any rolls outside events (I think the only obvious thing that comes to mind atm is rumours?), I'm assuming we can only spend Void if we have some left unused from the event?

Thanks! :)
Yes. Worth a clarification, but the few rolls "at the end of the day" (there are some for some shugenja schools ones too) should be done with whatever reserves who have left after the event.