About events

The sweeping monk

About events

Post by The sweeping monk » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:50 pm

Design

This game is mostly an excuse to test different approaches to events, how they can evolve not only to match better with different systems, but also to provide a most fulfilling experience by themselves.

As any experiment, there will be disputable decisions, there will be failures. Don't come in expecting a "perfect game", whatever that could mean.

The system chosen this time is to have each Day, from Day 1 to Day 3, contains one mega à la carte event dealing with all the mechanical stuff at once and solely that, separated from Occasions, which are simply Open RP threads for which the GM provides the set dressing.

Planning

D1's theme is side mechanics – crafting, communing, trading, etc. – hence why it's a bit bloated.

D2 and D3 will be more focused, and attempts at encouraging a variety of strategies from the players.

D4 is supposed to be the big day with two Conflict scenes (one Skirmish, one Intrigue) as well as more relaxing and classical event. Players will only be able to participate in one of these three, with registrations starting one IC day earlier. The Skirmish might be canned if I'm under too much water at that point.

D5 will be an eventless respite.

No Duels are planned.

Oversights

I will forget stuff. I'm a flawed human being, 5ed is all over the place and very demanding of its GM, there will always be advantages, disadvantages, techniques, that make 100% sense for a check I will forget to list. If you notice one such mistake, don't hesitate to ask about it in the GM questions thread.

However, please accept that "yes is yes, no is no". I'm trying to balance "realism" and gameplay here, and sometimes I will refuse a technique that makes sense because I know it to be killer already the next IC day, and sometimes I will tolerate a far-fetched advantage because I know it's the only spot in the whole game it can shine a bit. And, often, I just won't have the time and energy to explain the details of the reasoning, especially in the middle of the game, so the answer will be a bare "Yes" or "No", not opened to discussion until the post-game.

Also, please by honest by also listing disadvantages I forgot about, and don't forget about Peter and the Wolf: If you ask each IC day if Martial Arts [Unarmed] can be used in guise of Courtesy, I might not be reading your questions at all past a certain point, even when they're good ones.