Where, when, who

The sweeping monk

Where, when, who

Post by The sweeping monk » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:59 pm

The game will use the system pioneered by Tales of the Jewel, with loose locations and threads grouped by day.

For this game, the day will be made of 8 timeslots:
Early Morning (EM)
Late Morning (LM)
Early Afternoon (EA)
Late Afternoon (LA)
Early Evening (EE)
Late Evening (LE)
Early Night (EN)
Late Night (LN)

The usual restrictions apply:
A character may only be part of one thread for each given timeslot of the day.
Out of the 8 timeslots available, 2 consecutive ones have to be dedicated to sleep (this can spread over two distinct days, i.e. a character can sleep LN and EM), so there's effectively only 6 slots per day.

Each RP thread must explicitly state in its title when (timeslot) and where (location) it happens, as well as who is allowed in (Open, Expecting, or Closed).

A list of available locations can be found here, with leniency to add more (example: The Village's Shop).

As for thread status:
Open: Anyone can join
Closed: Only invited people can join
Expecting: It's complicated, please PM thread creators to know more

The sweeping monk

Re: Where, when, who

Post by The sweeping monk » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:25 am

Occasions and alcoves

Occasions are nothing more than Open RP threads for which the GM provides the context.

However, they tend to be traditionally pretty crowded, with many conversations happening at once. This can cause issues, especially for low activity players: Confusion as messages cross one another, a feeling of being overwhelmed as a thread triple in size while you aren't looking and you aren't sure if someone is talking to you in all that, chaos as your character is suddenly included in several distinct conversations at once, etc.

To mitigate that:
Please always quote the post you're answering to in such threads, as this both makes the conversation easier to follow and creates a Notification for the other player.
Please PM any player you're starting an interaction with.

I'm also not opposed to Alcove threads, i.e. an exception to the "one RP thread per timeslot rule" allowing to continue a conversation that started in an Occasion thread into a distinct Closed thread, same time, same location, but with only the people concerned with that specific discussion.

However, for this to not actually cause more confusion to the other players, the following rules apply:
This will be a one-way trip for all participants, i.e. you're not coming back to the main Occasion thread. Make sure to get approval from your conversation partner(s) beforehand.
Please post in the main thread you are moving to an Alcove, with whom, and with a link to the Alcove thread, so people don't try interacting with someone who isn't available anymore, and other players interested in the conversation can keep following it.