[D2EA, The Mountains, Open] Relaxation through exhaustion (Occasion)

The sweeping monk

[D2EA, The Mountains, Open] Relaxation through exhaustion (Occasion)

Post by The sweeping monk » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm

Art: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aRPDZX

Hiro and Haruhi have been tasked with making sure the guests don't burn themselves out by overthinking for two days and one night straight about the strange questions of Sensei Wu. Such precautions likely won't be needed, but better safe than sorry.

For that purpose, each has cooked a little something to force the mind to back down from all these interrogations if only for a moment.

Today, it's Haruhi's turn.

Haruhi's idea couldn't be simpler. She has organized a collective jogging session through the mountains. Not the gentle, moderately paced, version though. More of the "run with all you've got" kind, as she rushes downhill and uphill at all speed, circling around the group to push forward those who are lagging behind.

Indeed, the mind is taken off of one's worry when the heart is pounding that hard in one's chest.

She's not a complete monster however, and there are frequent breaks to catch one's breath, rehydrate, and chat a bit. The most athletics of the guests can likely even carry a conversation at the same time they're running.

And this is also a good excuse to get out of the monastery and profit from the mountains itself, its wild beauty and its striking viewpoints, within the safety of a large group.

Boku

Re: [D2EA, The Mountains, Open] Relaxation through exhaustion (Occasion)

Post by Boku » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 am

While the beautiful scenery was wasted on one who could not see... well, ok, the bird song was nice when they weren't panicked by plodding guests... Boku was more than happy to join Haruhi in her run.

Those who had worked out his lack of vision are likely shocked at the speed with which the monk runs the mountain keeping pace with Haruhi with ease. On the rare occasion a root or an overturned rock would dare find its way in his path it is met with a perfectly timed tumble or flip turning what seems like pending disaster into continued momentum.
Monk • Peasant Born • Blind • Daredevil • Worst Komuso Ever • Friend of the Brotherhood*

Carried: Tengai, sanctified robes, bo (as walking stick), omamori, scroll satchel, shakuhachi

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 am

Athletic exertions at altitude?

Have you met the Dragon?

Ketsudan keeps pace decently well, and, between breaths and steps, he asks the young nun "So, have you known Hiro long?"
The sweeping monk wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Tagging Haruhi
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Sister Haruhi

Post by Sister Haruhi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:38 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 am
Athletic exertions at altitude?

Have you met the Dragon?

Ketsudan keeps pace decently well, and, between breaths and steps, he asks the young nun "So, have you known Hiro long?"
Haruhi looked at the Dragon samurai with surprise, before reporting her attention once again to the other runners in case someone was having issues:

"That's a weird question to ask out of the blue Kitsuki-sama.

I see no reason not to indulge your curiosity though. I've met Hiro the monk for the first time a couple of months ago, when I climbed that mountain for the first time. Still had hair by then."

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Sister Haruhi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:38 pm
Haruhi looked at the Dragon samurai with surprise, before reporting her attention once again to the other runners in case someone was having issues:

"That's a weird question to ask out of the blue Kitsuki-sama.

I see no reason not to indulge your curiosity though. I've met Hiro the monk for the first time a couple of months ago, when I climbed that mountain for the first time. Still had hair by then."
Ketsudan nods, keeping pace.

Specific phrasing, he thinks, and says "You're right, it is an odd question." A bit of a grin creeps in, and he adds, "But then, many say my Clan and Family specialize in oddities, so perhaps it's not so strange as all that? Or at least not more than the contrast between you and he--Hiro, I mean--alongside your clear similarity in skill."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles

Sister Haruhi

Post by Sister Haruhi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:19 pm
Ketsudan nods, keeping pace.

Specific phrasing, he thinks, and says "You're right, it is an odd question." A bit of a grin creeps in, and he adds, "But then, many say my Clan and Family specialize in oddities, so perhaps it's not so strange as all that? Or at least not more than the contrast between you and he--Hiro, I mean--alongside your clear similarity in skill."
"Eh. For a manzai to work, you need both a boke and tsukkomi. Isn't it a routine you and the other Kitsuki are trying to pull too?

A person is not their mask though."

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Sister Haruhi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:22 pm
"Eh. For a manzai to work, you need both a boke and tsukkomi. Isn't it a routine you and the other Kitsuki are trying to pull too?

A person is not their mask though."
"I don't have the timing for that kind of performance," Ketsudan replies, his breathing heavy. "Striking between one and two tends to disrupt it. But I'm not going to speak for my cousin. He's not asked me to, for one.

"But what mask do you mean? I don't even have a mempo."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Sister Haruhi

Post by Sister Haruhi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm
"I don't have the timing for that kind of performance," Ketsudan replies, his breathing heavy. "Striking between one and two tends to disrupt it. But I'm not going to speak for my cousin. He's not asked me to, for one.

"But what mask do you mean? I don't even have a mempo."
"We're at the border between the Lion and the Scorpion. Math would have that half the monks here are straightforward people and half live by the best mask is no mask philosophy.

Not to a Kitsuki I'm going to teach anything about masks anyway. If anything, you're the one that has things to teach me on that subject. What do you think is hidding behind Sensei Wu's tengu mask? Behind Tokiko's okame? Behind Sennin's kitsune?"

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Sister Haruhi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:46 pm
"We're at the border between the Lion and the Scorpion. Math would have that half the monks here are straightforward people and half live by the best mask is no mask philosophy.

Not to a Kitsuki I'm going to teach anything about masks anyway. If anything, you're the one that has things to teach me on that subject. What do you think is hidding behind Sensei Wu's tengu mask? Behind Tokiko's okame? Behind Sennin's kitsune?"
"I think my cousin would have better answers for you on that," Ketsudan replies amid the ongoing exertions. "I am trained in the Dragon Thunder's School--the only truth is in the killing. But I'm not about to impose that truth on those here, not without cause.

"Perhaps the wisdom of a nun could help broaden a mind, however."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Sister Haruhi

Post by Sister Haruhi » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:11 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 pm
"I think my cousin would have better answers for you on that," Ketsudan replies amid the ongoing exertions. "I am trained in the Dragon Thunder's School--the only truth is in the killing. But I'm not about to impose that truth on those here, not without cause.

"Perhaps the wisdom of a nun could help broaden a mind, however."
"Out of all the persons here, I'm the one you're asking for wisdom? I guess you're indeed committed to the path of the twin swords.

I don't have koans for you Kitsuki-sama. All I know of life is about making efforts, failing, enduring, and eventually succeeding. I'm the guardian of no secret trick, no magical shortcut, no sacred wisdom, that could make your life easier."

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm

A chance to work out and observe other while doing so should not be passed up. Akimitsu was there in more plain looking work out clothing in dark grays jogging along with the others. He spent his life working out and knew his limits he kept a strong pace but didn't push himself so he could stay steady.

His breathing was regular and measured he seemed able to talk while doing this, though he didn't approach anyone focusing on his workout.
Imperial * Bushi * Imperial Guard * Quick * Important Ancestor * Fierce * Blunt
Glory: Reputable | Honour: Ideal | Status: Imperial
Carries: Daisho, fine kimono, jitte, glorious lacquered armor (where allowed), omamori of Fukurokujin

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:44 pm

Sister Haruhi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:11 pm
"Out of all the persons here, I'm the one you're asking for wisdom? I guess you're indeed committed to the path of the twin swords.

I don't have koans for you Kitsuki-sama. All I know of life is about making efforts, failing, enduring, and eventually succeeding. I'm the guardian of no secret trick, no magical shortcut, no sacred wisdom, that could make your life easier."
"You're better than rice cakes for it," Ketsudan rejoins.

"But I'll not keep you further," he adds. "I do thank you for the time--and the exercise."
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Kitsuki Kindaichi

Post by Kitsuki Kindaichi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:27 am

Boku wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 am
While the beautiful scenery was wasted on one who could not see... well, ok, the bird song was nice when they weren't panicked by plodding guests... Boku was more than happy to join Haruhi in her run.

Those who had worked out his lack of vision are likely shocked at the speed with which the monk runs the mountain keeping pace with Haruhi with ease. On the rare occasion a root or an overturned rock would dare find its way in his path it is met with a perfectly timed tumble or flip turning what seems like pending disaster into continued momentum.
Date: Day 2 of the Sweeping Monk Incident
Time: Hour of the Horse
Weather: Sunny, cool, no wind

Despite the monastery's natural lack of distractions, it seems that the monks wish for a certain level of activity among their guests, lest they find their own more disruptive means of entertainment. Thus Sister Harushi led some of the guests on a run (See Appendix 3). Kitsuki Ketsudan used the time to attempt to become closer to Sister Harushi, both physically and emotionally, though she seems rather cool to his approach.

However, more astonishing was the presence of the supposedly blind monk who was playing flute music at the previous night's dinner. Not only was the man running, but performing feats of acrobatics. Either he's the worst at faking blindness, he's run this path so many times he can see it in his mind, or he's grasped some bit of enlightenment allowing for such feats. He bears further investigation.

-Kitsuki Kindachi's journal, The Sweeping Monk Incident

While the optimal approach was not clear, as long as Kindachi didn't stand directly in front of the man, or push him off a cliff, it was likely any approach would be acceptible. So he matched pace with the man and pulled along side.

"A pleasant day for a run, have you come this way many times before?" he asked.
Dragon Clan || Yoriki
Glory: Reputable || Honor: Ideal || Status: Average

Gear: Travelling Clothes, Wakizashi, Journal of Observations, Calligraphy Kit

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:10 am

Not the fastest nor slowest runner, Naoko joined the race in the same pragmatic travel gear she'd arrived in, minus the coat. Endurance, however, is not her strong suit, and bursts of speed are followed by gasping pauses. She glares at Hanakuso the first few times, as he nimbly bounds over roots and under fallen branches with four-footed ease. After those few though, the now bored cat heads elsewhere to attend to important cat things...like a nap.
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Sister Haruhi

Post by Sister Haruhi » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:09 am

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:44 pm
"You're better than rice cakes for it," Ketsudan rejoins.

"But I'll not keep you further," he adds. "I do thank you for the time--and the exercise."
"Sure. Always happy to encourage people push their body toward their full potential. If the gods have given you faster legs, then you should run. Stronger arms, then you should carry. Greater stamina, then you should endure."

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 am

Sister Haruhi wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:09 am
"Sure. Always happy to encourage people push their body toward their full potential. If the gods have given you faster legs, then you should run. Stronger arms, then you should carry. Greater stamina, then you should endure."
Ketsudan nods and gives the nun space.

Seems there was a relationship with Hiro before entering monastic life, Ketsudan thinks. Not something I can ask after, but something to attend to, perhaps.

(Thank you, GM!

Happy to talk with others; please quote me so I know!)
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 am

Riri had spent quite a bit of time with Haruhi, and this idea for relaxing was actually surprisingly appealing to Riri - even if she was clearly having much more trouble than Haruhi.

The courtier tried to keep a good pace, though... and she did, kind of at least. Although she definitely needed the pauses to catch her breathe, which she used to take a look at the others who went for the run as well.

(Please PM if approaching!)
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)