[D3EA, The rock garden, Open] Relaxation through contemplation (Occasion)

The sweeping monk

[D3EA, The rock garden, Open] Relaxation through contemplation (Occasion)

Post by The sweeping monk » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Art: https://l5r-game.fandom.com/wiki/Eli_Ring

It is now Hiro's turn to encourage the most stressed out guests to take a break.

For that purpose, he has chosen to arrange for an initiation at rock gardening.

Rakes, shovels, a variety of stones of different sizes, are waiting for the curious at the limit of the garden that Hiro has just finish resetting to flat checked pattern, squares of snow alternating with strips of bare stone, all canvases awaiting their artist.

Due to the specifics of the environment, snow is as much of a material as rock here, and the exercise sometimes borders on snow sculpting, or even snowball making.

Likewise, while, not unlike ikebana, rock gardening can have pretty strict rules about allowed forms, materials, arrangements, Hiro is more of a partisan of following one's heart in such matters. He'll answer any question about the art with pleasure but also only a moderate knowledge of the by-the-book ways.

Soshi Naoko

Re: [D3EA, The rock garden, Open] Relaxation through contemplation (Occasion)

Post by Soshi Naoko » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 am

Naoko is *definitely* an adherent of the school of following your heart as she rakes large eyes around two large stones that stand in for the pupils. After rolling snow into largish balls, she smashes them apart above the sketched gaze, quickly raking it into somewhat dirty, very bushy, white eyebrows.

She doesn't say Sensei Wu's watching, but who else's old eyes would these be?
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:32 am

For his own part, Ketsudan--dressed simply, with his jacket on--picks up a fist-sized stone and idly tosses it out into the garden. It thunks solidly into a square of snow, and Ketsudan nods. He's familiar with the stuff, clearly, and picks his way carefully to the square he has marred.

The snowflakes cast by the stone's impact suggest a pattern, and Ketsudan follows it, the flung stone the only one showing in the striations of the snow raked into place by the Dragon.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Seppun Hibiki

Post by Seppun Hibiki » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:30 pm

Hibiki wanders out to the garden again. She had spent most of the previous day indoors, resting. The cold mountain air was a bit invigorating, however, and she was curious about what Hiro had planned. She offered a respectful nod to him and the others.
Imperial Shugenja Artisan Astrologer Healer Frail Tea Lover Too Honest
Glory: Reputable | Honor: Ideal | Status: Imperial

Wears/Carries: Sanctified robes, straw hat, wakizashi, staff, scroll satchel, divination kit, medicine kit, chopsticks, flute

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:07 pm

The sweeping monk wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Tagging Brother Hiro
Manual labor isn't Taka's favorite thing to do when it comes to setting camp, but this certainly had something appeal to his curiosity.

"Brother Hiro, good day. Have you had your rice?"

It was a standard greeting, at least for Taka.

"So, I'm curious, what makes a bushi want to be a monk?" It was a disastrously blunt question, that was also classic Taka.
Known Winner | Curious | Flirtacious | Painfully Honest
Honor Is the Ideal | Ordinary Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:13 pm

Ketsudan continues raking, but he glances toward the Unicorn at the sudden brusque question.

Rake, rake, rake.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Naoko doesn't look up at all, but does start raking a long and beaky nose in the direction of that conversation, apparently focused entirely on the shifting pebbles.
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Brother Hiro

Post by Brother Hiro » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:07 pm
Manual labor isn't Taka's favorite thing to do when it comes to setting camp, but this certainly had something appeal to his curiosity.

"Brother Hiro, good day. Have you had your rice?"

It was a standard greeting, at least for Taka.

"So, I'm curious, what makes a bushi want to be a monk?" It was a disastrously blunt question, that was also classic Taka.
Hiro blinks a few times, obviously taken by surprise.

"I'm not sure such a question has an universal answer samurai-sama. Each monk has their own past they leave behind when they take up their vows, their own stories that lead them to that decision. Each of these tales is unique, particular to each individual, and those who used to be bushi are no exception in that regard.

Are you thinking about someone in particular? The rumor about the older brother of the Lion Clan's champion thinking about retiring to a Phoenix monastery to cement the legitimacy of his sibling seems unfounded so far, even if it was the talk of the Empire for weeks."

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:35 pm

Brother Hiro wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:37 pm

Hiro blinks a few times, obviously taken by surprise.

"I'm not sure such a question has an universal answer samurai-sama. Each monk has their own past they leave behind when they take up their vows, their own stories that lead them to that decision. Each of these tales is unique, particular to each individual, and those who used to be bushi are no exception in that regard.

Are you thinking about someone in particular? The rumor about the older brother of the Lion Clan's champion thinking about retiring to a Phoenix monastery to cement the legitimacy of his sibling seems unfounded so far, even if it was the talk of the Empire for weeks."
" Oh no, I meant you specifically. " Taka replies blithely.

Nailed it! I was extra subtle

"There are certain parts of the body that train differently from a bushi to a martial artist monk, and you definitely still have that build. It might be more subtle after you've been here a while, but the signs are pretty fresh. Add on the fact that you're one of the few monks from somewhere further than a stone's throw away and it sounds like you came for something specific"

Taka offers a slightly guilty look. " My mind wandered a bit during the sweeping, and I might be a biiiit overly curious "
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:07 am

Rake, rake, rake...
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan

Brother Hiro

Post by Brother Hiro » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:15 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:35 pm
" Oh no, I meant you specifically. " Taka replies blithely.

Nailed it! I was extra subtle

"There are certain parts of the body that train differently from a bushi to a martial artist monk, and you definitely still have that build. It might be more subtle after you've been here a while, but the signs are pretty fresh. Add on the fact that you're one of the few monks from somewhere further than a stone's throw away and it sounds like you came for something specific"

Taka offers a slightly guilty look. " My mind wandered a bit during the sweeping, and I might be a biiiit overly curious "
Hiro is a bit embarrassed by that subject:

"Oh, that. Guess it's pretty obvious. Sensei says it's not so much that I should unlearn my previous training than I still have yet to sublimate it, to isolate its essence from its specifics, and integrate the core of my swordsmanship to my bladeless techniques instead of having both skills clash with each other. This is easier done that said however. I still have a lot to learn on both fronts to attain that harmony.

As for my reasons, I am maybe the least able person to tell you about them. 'Know your enemy, know yourself' says Leadership. 'To know your enemy is easy, to know yourself is the ultimate challenge' answers the Tao.

I think I've shaved my head to achieve greater understanding. But is it the truth, or just the shadow of the truth?"

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:26 am

Brother Hiro wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:15 am

Hiro is a bit embarrassed by that subject:

"Oh, that. Guess it's pretty obvious. Sensei says it's not so much that I should unlearn my previous training than I still have yet to sublimate it, to isolate its essence from its specifics, and integrate the core of my swordsmanship to my bladeless techniques instead of having both skills clash with each other. This is easier done that said however. I still have a lot to learn on both fronts to attain that harmony.

As for my reasons, I am maybe the least able person to tell you about them. 'Know your enemy, know yourself' says Leadership. 'To know your enemy is easy, to know yourself is the ultimate challenge' answers the Tao.

I think I've shaved my head to achieve greater understanding. But is it the truth, or just the shadow of the truth?"
"Well, I wouldn't say obvious. I wouldn't have guessed if I hadn't any idea of what to look for." Taka regards the man for a moment. "If it means anything, my first impression is that this place suits you. You definitely are one of the more spiritual of the instructors that I've come across. And, come on, do we ever stop learning? I thought the whole monk thing is that we never achieve full mastery, but that we keep slowly bettering ourselves. That you had to start somewhere is inevitable, so I wouldn't worry about it, neh?"

"As for truth." Taka places the rake behind his back, but angles it in the afternoon light so the shadow stretches. "One looking at me won't see the rake straight on, but they will see the shadow. If it is not the full truth, at least the shadow makes you aware of its existence, neh?"

Take perks up. "Oooh, that was good! I think I have a knack for this stuff! And, lemme guess...since you quoted leadership I would put a few bu on you being a Lion in a past life"

Brother Hiro

Post by Brother Hiro » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:50 pm

Moto Taka wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:26 am
"Well, I wouldn't say obvious. I wouldn't have guessed if I hadn't any idea of what to look for." Taka regards the man for a moment. "If it means anything, my first impression is that this place suits you. You definitely are one of the more spiritual of the instructors that I've come across. And, come on, do we ever stop learning? I thought the whole monk thing is that we never achieve full mastery, but that we keep slowly bettering ourselves. That you had to start somewhere is inevitable, so I wouldn't worry about it, neh?"

"As for truth." Taka places the rake behind his back, but angles it in the afternoon light so the shadow stretches. "One looking at me won't see the rake straight on, but they will see the shadow. If it is not the full truth, at least the shadow makes you aware of its existence, neh?"

Take perks up. "Oooh, that was good! I think I have a knack for this stuff! And, lemme guess...since you quoted leadership I would put a few bu on you being a Lion in a past life"
"That obv... I mean, attachment to one's birth clan is natural and nothing to be ashamed of, but a monk must renounce their previous ties when they shave their head. We have a duty toward neutrality.

And thanks you for your kind words. I'm however not sure I'm fully understanding where you're going at with that rake metaphor. 'Any kid knows a piece of paper can become a mighty dragon on the wall in the hands of a skilled shadow puppeteer. And yet most adults, when they see the shadow of a dragon, think that it's a dragon that made it.' From the Treaty of the Mind's Light."

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am

Brother Hiro wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:50 pm

"That obv... I mean, attachment to one's birth clan is natural and nothing to be ashamed of, but a monk must renounce their previous ties when they shave their head. We have a duty toward neutrality.

And thanks you for your kind words. I'm however not sure I'm fully understanding where you're going at with that rake metaphor. 'Any kid knows a piece of paper can become a mighty dragon on the wall in the hands of a skilled shadow puppeteer. And yet most adults, when they see the shadow of a dragon, think that it's a dragon that made it.' From the Treaty of the Mind's Light."
Taka beams. "You got what I was going after. You're good at this stuff Brother Hiro!"

"So, what made you join up? Was it the standard, "one for an heir, two for a spare, three and we send them somewhere else?"

Brother Hiro

Post by Brother Hiro » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:41 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:37 am
Taka beams. "You got what I was going after. You're good at this stuff Brother Hiro!"

"So, what made you join up? Was it the standard, "one for an heir, two for a spare, three and we send them somewhere else?"
Hiro is starting to find this conversation quite suspicious, more because of the bad save on spiritual matters than of the Unicorn's curiosity. He looks around, noticing who's there and who's not there.

"My decision to join a monastery was my own, and not in any way something my parents planned in advance for me samurai-sama."