[D5LM, Training grounds] An elder's choice is made (Occasion)

The sweeping monk

[D5LM, Training grounds] An elder's choice is made (Occasion)

Post by The sweeping monk » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:17 pm

Art: https://l5r-game.fandom.com/wiki/B.D._Judkins

Sensei Wu has finally gathered everyone in the courtyard, in front of his "training grounds", to announce who he'll deem worthy of taking as a student.

Well, at least he is supposed to do that. As of now, he's disserting on snow.

"'Be as water' once said a famous martial artist. Good advice, good advice. Water is always surprising. And so wild, so wild. It can be a liquid, it can be a smoke, it can be a wall, it can be that weird white powdery thing we don't really understand, and I'm sure it has a few other secrets no human has ever discovered."

Game result announced there... Soon™.

Soshi Naoko

Re: [D5LM, Training grounds] An elder's choice is made (Occasion)

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:08 am

Naoko joins the audience for this announcement in her best outfit, which is to say the least worn. A kimono of rich brown with a scene of water and reeds scene embroidered around the hems with a red-winged blackbird is hidden among the reeds. A plain Scorpion mon is sewn on the back and looks as if it's been frugally moved from older clothing, being more worn than the rest of the outfit.

She watched the crowd curiously, gaze jumping from face to face and anything else that might occupy her attention as they waited.

(pm/quote to chat, please)
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:16 pm

Ketsudan, dressed in his own ceremonial clothes for the occasion and with the headband firmly in place, finds a seat, himself.

His player is doing things with family today, so his posting will be sparse, but he is here and ready.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Riri also shows up in her best attire - which, being a Doji, is saying something. Although some observation will reveal practicality wasn't completely left aside. The trusty bo is on her back, and if she is fidgety usually, she's thrice as much now - her feet tap the ground, her fingers tap her crossed arms, she just doesn't seem to be able to keep quiet - but the smile on her face somehow seems almost relaxed.

(Please PM or quote if approaching!)
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

Sensei Wu

Post by Sensei Wu » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm

Kitsuki Ketsudan wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:16 pm
Ketsudan, dressed in his own ceremonial clothes for the occasion and with the headband firmly in place, finds a seat, himself.

His player is doing things with family today, so his posting will be sparse, but he is here and ready.
"You."

A snowball flies from Wu's hand in direction of Ketsudan.

"The secret of becoming a renown teacher is to pick students who are already good at most of what you're expected to teach them. And you, you've already got the bases covered young man, which will make my life far easier when I'll teach you how to strike at where your enemy is, not at where they seem to be. You're in."

Most Impression points, with 24.

Seppun Akimitsu

Post by Seppun Akimitsu » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:13 pm

Akimitsu was there of course. This was the whole reason he was here. He stood there in his kimono it was clearly of fine quality but not over stated or garish.

His sharp eyes watched as Wu spoke and chose the Dragon first. A solid choice, he had undoubtedly performed well over these past few days.
Imperial * Bushi * Imperial Guard * Quick * Important Ancestor * Fierce * Blunt
Glory: Reputable | Honour: Ideal | Status: Imperial
Carries: Daisho, fine kimono, jitte, glorious lacquered armor (where allowed), omamori of Fukurokujin

Moto Taka

Post by Moto Taka » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:28 pm

Of course Taka is here for this! He feels he has done well!
Known Winner | Curious | Flirtacious | Painfully Honest
Honor Is the Ideal | Ordinary Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Traveling clothes, concealed armor, daishō (scimitar and wakizashi), yumi (bow), quiver of arrows, two knives, traveling pack, Unicorn warhorse (named koku), shamisen

Sensei Wu

Post by Sensei Wu » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:33 am

Moto Taka wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:28 pm
Of course Taka is here for this! He feels he has done well!
"You."

Another snowball flies, in direction of Taka this time.

"I need to hone my techniques against mounted opponents, and you need to learn to defend yourself better against opponents with reach. Plus, you seem to have a genuine curiosity for the weird, and you're gonna need it with me."

Second place (tied) with 21 points.

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:06 pm

Sensei Wu wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:56 pm
"You."

A snowball flies from Wu's hand in direction of Ketsudan.

"The secret of becoming a renown teacher is to pick students who are already good at most of what you're expected to teach them. And you, you've already got the bases covered young man, which will make my life far easier when I'll teach you how to strike at where your enemy is, not at where they seem to be. You're in."

Most Impression points, with 24.
Ketsudan's left hand intercepts the snowball--not catching it, as such, because you generally can't do that; they...disperse--but he does manage not to get hit in the face.

And he bows from where he is seated. "Please teach me, sensei!"
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Sensei Wu

Post by Sensei Wu » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:50 pm

Doji Riri wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:48 pm
Riri also shows up in her best attire - which, being a Doji, is saying something. Although some observation will reveal practicality wasn't completely left aside. The trusty bo is on her back, and if she is fidgety usually, she's thrice as much now - her feet tap the ground, her fingers tap her crossed arms, she just doesn't seem to be able to keep quiet - but the smile on her face somehow seems almost relaxed.

(Please PM or quote if approaching!)
A third snowball, at Riri this time.

"You.

I need someone to talk down the other monks from skinning me alive, and Haruhi heartily recommended you to take her place now the bird's leaving the nest. That you apparently work twice as tirelessly as your fellow samurai is a nice bonus too."

"And I think that's it. Can't take any more students I fear. The quality of the training would suffer too much for that, at my age.

So, thanks for coming? Hope you had a great stay, that you got in touch with your inner self and the world, and you learned a lot from both the trip and the destination.

And if not, you've got all the way back to your homes to fix that. Enlightenment waits at every crossroad, you just have to open your eyes for it."

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:17 pm

Sensei Wu wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:50 pm
A third snowball, at Riri this time.

"You.

I need someone to talk down the other monks from skinning me alive, and Haruhi heartily recommended you to take her place now the bird's leaving the nest. That you apparently work twice as tirelessly as your fellow samurai is a nice bonus too."

"And I think that's it. Can't take any more students I fear. The quality of the training would suffer too much for that, at my age.

So, thanks for coming? Hope you had a great stay, that you got in touch with your inner self and the world, and you learned a lot from both the trip and the destination.

And if not, you've got all the way back to your homes to fix that. Enlightenment waits at every crossroad, you just have to open your eyes for it."
Unlike Ketsudan, Riri doesn't even budge to avoid the snowball as it hits her squarely in the face - the only movement at first happening behind the snow as her expression turns into a surprised, but ecstatic smile.

A moment later she's almost hopping around.

"Oh! Seriously?" She then remembers to bow properly. "I... thank you very much, Sensei Wu! I will do my best to learn! Ah... and to keep anyone from skinning you, of course!", she adds with a grin.

She then notices something he said and tilts her head. "Oh, is Haruhi-san leaving, then? Hiro-san going with her too?"
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

Sensei Wu

Post by Sensei Wu » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:42 pm

Doji Riri wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:17 pm
She then notices something he said and tilts her head. "Oh, is Haruhi-san leaving, then? Hiro-san going with her too?"
"It would appear so. Very good teachers and very bad teachers are alike in that their students don't remain their students for long. You'll soon discover to which category yours belongs."