Theories

Q&A, polls, other discussions about the game...
The sweeping monk

Theories

Post by The sweeping monk » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:59 pm

I plan to reveal all the Tidbits, and the additional explanations that come with them, after the weekend, as well as drop a few polls about what will become of the NPCs.

But until then, I'm eager to hear your theories about what was going on in this damn mountain. In part from out of raw curiosity, in part to gauge how (un)well information were distilled this game.

Kitsuki Ketsudan

Re: Theories

Post by Kitsuki Ketsudan » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:27 pm

I'm convinced there was a pre-vow relationship between Hiro and Haruhi. I don't think it's romantic, as such, but familial or some kind of reincarnation thing.

The thing we fought on D4? A mujina or some other kind of trickster spirit.
Kitsuki Ketsudan
Dragon Clan
Not Left-Handed | Quick | Writerly
Honor Is the Ideal | Reputable Samurai | Average Great Clan Samurai Status
Usually has daisho, traveling clothes, a knife, maybe money, definitely fancy headband, indigo jacket stitched in diamonds and circles
Combat, add ashigaru armor

Soshi Naoko

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:20 pm

Well, just unraveled some of the abbess's story. The teeeny shrine spirit feels like overcompensating for 'my true majesty would destroy your minds, puny mortals.'

Wild theory: Haruhi and Hiro are werewolves (or Rokugani equivalent) sheltering here and responsible for running off bandits. ;p

Sensei Wu/not Sensei Wu has that trickster spirit vibe, but unsure if the many tales are things he spreads himself to muddy waters or an indication that he's actually been around here a very long while.
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Doji Riri

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:49 pm

Riri got some pretty clear vibes of at least part of the Hiro/ Haruhi story I think, so I'll hold off on that a bit longer until others share their theories. I could still be far off though!

Sensei Wu... I didn't get much beyond a "quirky monk" and a past as a samurai, which is more or less what we got at face value. Got to see some discussion going on about the "wordly monk" vs "contemplative monk" paths, and if I got some things right that led to some tensions between Wu and Tokiko. Also touched on the whole thing with Hiro's choice, so that seems to be a theme.

I hadn't exactly thought of the 'Sensei Wu as trickster spirit' vibe, but it does seem to make some sense! I had thought the monster could be Sensei Wu in some sort, but I wasn't sure how. Him being a trickster spirit could be one way, but then... is the story of him being a samurai just a story he spread around? Or...

I'd have to start making wild guesses at that point, so really not sure XD
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)