Boink stick ideology aka the Dojo Bride - Doji Riri Q&A

Q&A, polls, other discussions about the game...
Doji Riri

Boink stick ideology aka the Dojo Bride - Doji Riri Q&A

Post by Doji Riri » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:58 pm

Shoot!
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)

Soshi Naoko

Re: Boink stick ideology aka the Dojo Bride - Doji Riri Q&A

Post by Soshi Naoko » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 pm

With my crane spirit bow and crane-fletched arrows? That would be amusing on some level, for sure.

What was the idea behind Riri? I noticed a lot of fidgeting here and there in event threads, but wasn't sure what was behind that.

Why hop in on Haruhi's side in the intrigue?
Scorpion * Shugenja * Itinerant * Disappointing (Whispers of Failure) * Keen Smell
Honor: Average * Glory: Unremarkable * Status: Also Unremarkable

Carries: Wakisashi, knife, scroll case, yumi (sometimes)

Description * Cat: Hanakuso

Doji Riri

Re: Boink stick ideology aka the Dojo Bride - Doji Riri Q&A

Post by Doji Riri » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:30 pm

Soshi Naoko wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 pm
With my crane spirit bow and crane-fletched arrows? That would be amusing on some level, for sure.

What was the idea behind Riri? I noticed a lot of fidgeting here and there in event threads, but wasn't sure what was behind that.

Why hop in on Haruhi's side in the intrigue?
Weekend was a bit busy, but slowly trying to get to answers!

Shooting with a Crane bow and crane-fletched arrows vs Riri would be amusing now you mention it XD

But as for the questions themselves -

The basic idea for Riri came from 1) In part, me never having played a Crane before, and 2) Some talk on discord about what would be an 'appropriate' character for the game which, I can't quite recall why, led me to mistype "Doji bride" as "Dojo bride". I let the typo stand and it actually got me thinking - what would a Doji courtier who were actually interested in physical activity, martial arts and other 'unseemly' or at least 'unexpected' activities for a traditonal Doji courtier be like?

I knew the character would be a Doji Diplomat, and I felt a woman would be more interesting for the concept. With that basic idea in mind, the quirky bits came about as I was thinking about the 20 questions, and (as often happened in 5e in my experience) in large part through choosing advantages and disadvantages. The "frantic and fidgety" bits are basically the ways I thought of making her disadvantages show - Fukurokujin's Curse + Impatient, which for her meant moving around a lot, having a hard time sitting still, and generally preferring to do things and/or move around instead of studying. Although 'Friend of the Brotherhood' means that is tempered by some experience pondering about big questions (for a while, at least, she's bound to get impatient after a few minutes!).

Hopping in on Haruhi's side had to do with a few things. First, she interacted with Haruhi more than most other characters in the events, in large part due to her preference for physical activities. She went ahead to learn more about Haruhi on D1 and tried twice to "learn by doing" sparring with Haruhi on D2 - which also made me want to go for two physical displays on D3 despite Endurance 4 XD

I also got a few Tidbits related to Haruhi and Hiro and one suggesting Sensei Wu was very much a 'wordly monk' type that I felt tied in well with Riri's own views. So having Tokiko get a word in to let Hiro think for a while longer about what path he should follow and have some more experience outside the monastery before making a choice just felt like the right choice there :)
道寺 梨李 • Crane Clan • Courtier(...) • Daredevil • Bouncy • Fidgety
Friend of the Brotherhood • Not the brightest candle • Likes to be outside
Glory: 47 • Honour: 50 • Status: 35
Carries: Ceremonial or travelling clothes, wakizashi, bo staff, yumi and quiver (if appropriate), too many charms and netsuke dangling from her hair and clothes.
Attendant: Kichi (吉 - “Luck”)